Repro rubber

Started by smkt342, February 13, 2005, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smkt342

Guys, I remember someone mentioning a while back that they needed a rubber airboot I think it was.  But suppliers are out of them.  I repro other motorcycle parts that come out perfect.  If you need some for your pentons let me know what is most needed.  I can do total orders of 5-10 and come out ok.  Just thought I'd lend a hand if needed.

Keith Taylor

herman

Keith were are you located? Herm

Herm
Herm

cubfan1968

Keith, I'm interested in a boot for my 6 Day. My only question and maybe the membership can help. I have a reed valve, the cylinder has been machined out to accept the reed, will the standard boot still work? [?]

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Kip Kern

Keith
Airboots for the 76-78 Bing carb models are very scarce,i.e., 125,175,250,400.  I know Al Buehner has had the 72-75 airboots redone.  Anyone else out there?  Thanks in advance for considering taking this on;)

smkt342

I'm in Omaha, NE.  I could start with the 76-78 airboots for the bing carb bikes.  Is it the same boot for all or something like 125-175 use same boot and 250-400 share same boot.  Hopefully everyone will chime in and we'll see what the demand is.  I would need a nos boot to repro from, the process will not hurt the nos boot at all.  A preliminary cost would be around $40 maybe less well see, I don't know how big that boot is offhand.

Keith

mx503

Guys,
I have a NOS airboot for the MC5 bikes. I would be willing to let it be used to make a mold for these models. I recently purchased the same repro boot from the guys at ozktm. The boot looks rough because the the boot used to make the mold was rough. I will use their boot for my race bike and NOS boot for the bike I am restoring. Let me know how I can help!

Bob Peed
Bob Peed

bentrims

Bob Peed,
Please e-mail [email protected]
Tom Benolkin

mx503

Tom,
You have mail!

Bob Peed
Bob Peed

tomale

There are a total of three different air boots that fit the 76-78 MC5's. My 76 has a simple boot that fits over the air box and carb. not special molding to it at all. My stock one gave out 20 years ago and I found a new... old Husky air boot that I used. I needed to shorten it a bit but work fine. The 78 is shorter and the hole for the carb is offset over the hole for the air box. The third boot looks like the last one I described but it is longer to allow for a larger gap between the air box and the carb. When I went to a Gem reed on the 78 the stock one would no longer work.. is was not long enough. so I used my back up for my 76. In my opinion the stock 76 boot does not work as good as it could and I think the factory knew that and changed it for the 77/78 models. If I remember right. Mac's airboot on his 77 looks like the one I discribed was on the 78...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Chakka

Is anybody going to reproduce the boot for Pentons with Lectron carbs? Will the Bing boot fit?

Chris

smkt342

I can reproduce the lectron boot if you have a nice nos boot for me to copy.  Let me know!

Keith Taylor

adrian_goold

We already have a range of parts that Rob Wager is making here in Australia.
As parts are not in a plentiful supply down this way, we have resorted to making our own.
The dollar is in your favour with US$1 = AUD$0.76
Check out the link for a brochure:
http://www.hyrock.com.au/OzKTM/Parts/OzKTM%20Urethane%20Parts.pdf
or check out the site at:
http://www.ozktm.com
Please email Rob at [email protected] for any enquiries.

Regards,
Adrian Goold #101
http://www.ozktm.com

'73 175 Engine Rebuilding.
'74 400 Now Racing!
'78 250 running soon!
'81 250 Now Racing!
'81 495 Engine Work stage.
'97 Kawasaki ZX-9R
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

smkt342

Interesting choice of colors on the non black items.  Great you guys have taken this on.  Appears some of the airboots are small and certainly wouldn't cost $40 for me to do them either.  A few have responded but not a lot so the need may not be great anyway.  If poggers need me I am happy to make molds and pop out the perfect rubber peices.  Vintage guys usually do like sources in their own country though, kinda like what OZKTM has done.

Keith

Rob 201

Hello all. Greetings from sunny Australia. I was told you all were talking about our penton parts and guessed I had best have a look. I don't get much time for the chat groups. Besides making Penton/KTM bits I am a biologist by training, a plumber and urethane tech by trade, a fish farmer by occupation, a KTM (1978 and evo 1981) racer and an observed trials competitor for fun, and I keep zebras finches as well. Fortunately my family enjoy it all too so I get to see them.

A bit about the parts we make. It is all Brad Lewis' fault. He had a commercial guy making some bits and it was costing him a fortune. He spent many, many thousands of dollars having molds and bits made just so that he could restore a collection (museum) of KTM bikes that he is trying to put together. There is no such thing as NOS parts here. Other guys started asking him for bits and a loose group formed and called themselves ozKTM. I came along and volunteered to help out, not only Brad, but the other guys here that needed bits. Long story short, I ended up with Brads mold collection. The commercial guys heart wasn't in it and some of the parts relfected it. So I have been trying to improve them ever since.

We are not a business, just a bunch of guys with an unhealthy and somewhat obsessive interest in the best bikes in the world. We sell the parts to cover our material and mold costs, and maybe a little to put back into buying NOS parts so that we can have better bits to offer. We occaisionally get sent NOS parts to copy and we are so so grateful to those folks. We send them back their original parts undamaged, and give them a bunch of perfect replica parts for them to use or share with their mates. When we can't get NOS parts we try and rebuild an old, used part and then copy it. We have varying amounts of success but some look a bit ordinary, but the bits are always servicable. I hate sending them out but often anything is better than nothing. Recently I hooked up with a felow who operates a CNC lathe and he is helping out with recreating bits that we cant get. These bits look incredible.

In the ozktm website there is a bunch of red parts. I did this so that they would photograph better. The parts can be any colour you want, but are normally black

I understand postage from Australia might be an issue. But we are happy to send them in bulk if POG wants to organize something. And I know that US patriotism runs strong and that buying US is always more comfortable. If it helps I was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I retain my citizenship and I even drive a Jeep and a Ford Exploder. (although I definetly talk like an Aussie, mate)

Anyway sorry for the long post. Please let me know if I can help you,

Hooroo

Rob Wager
(ozktm parts guy)
Rob Wager
(ozktm parts guy)

Dennis Jones

Keith, The early magura lever covers on steel tankers seem to be in short supply and always bring crazy prices on ebay. There's a pair on now that ends today that has a very good picture.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones