Repro rubber

Started by smkt342, February 13, 2005, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob 201

re: vacuum pump, Fantastic Don, I have two ideas how to use it: one is to degas the pre-polymer so I can reduce the amount of bubbles in the mix, the other is to use it to draw polymer into molds (like reverse injection).

For degassing I started with a thick wall steel pipe and welded a base to form a steel "bucket". I have welded and machined a ring/lip on to top of to hold a bit of inch thick perspex. It has an o-ring seal. And it has a 1/2 inch outlet near the base. It's volume is about 7 litres (about 1 1/2 gallons I suppose). I need a pump that can give me a reasonable vacuum in that for about 20-30 seconds - so not huge. For reverse-injection I will just t-piece of the suction line from the "bucket" to a hose/tap/nozzle so I can use the same pump for mold filling.

I have thought about using the smog control vacuum pump of say a mazda car, but have been told it won't generate enough vacuum. My  urethane supplier mate says buy a proper one. And that is as far as I have got. So Don, I really have no idea about vacuum pumps. Type and size is a mystery to me. If you could ask your co-workers what pump they reckon would do the volume and time I need I would appreciate it. Um, there might be a problem with the electric motor voltage. I'm not even sure if the pumps are stand alone or if they have seperate motors (that I could switch?). Either way think I have a transformer that could drop the voltage to US specs.

And of-course I will pay the freight. Please let me know how you get on. Thank you again and again

Rob Wager
(ozktm parts guy)
Rob Wager
(ozktm parts guy)

peter kane

Hey Rob,

I'll have access to a digital camera over the weekend and will email you as soon as I've downloaded the pix.

Thank you so much for doing this!

Peter Kane
V3442
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]

Chakka

Tommy, Speed and Sport has the fork whiper with brake cable guide in stock. Kurt tipped me off to them and its now installed on my bike, fast service, I recommend those guys.

Rob, I will email you later with pictures of what I am sending. If you could repro those Magura parts Id be a happy man.

Chris