Wanted: Carrera Model 98 Goggles

Started by sctilt, February 20, 2005, 10:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctilt

Greetings, I am trying to locate and purchase a pair of the old Carrera model 98 goggles in any condition. [email protected]

rd400pi

I've been looking for them too.  Good luck.;)

Mike H.

OhioTed

Are you fellows referring to the classic "open bottom" Carerras that we used back in the 70's?  I also have been wishing to find a reproduction of those for years.  After Carerra stopped offering them, there was a cheapo knock-off available for a while, but nothing since then that I know of.  Maybe it's time we got together and produced them ourselves?  A daunting prospect no doubt, but anyone have an old pair we could use as an example?  I'll dig around and see if I may still have my cheapy pair, as I never throw anything away.  Keep you posted.  TED

OhioTed

Sorry, guys.  While I did find a lot of freaky stuff: duckbill visor, Jofa mouthgaurds (1st & 2nd series), 30 years worth of riding gloves, Hi-Point frisbee, ancient stickers 'n patches, etc, all I could come up with concerning the "98's" was a lens.  I'm gonna ask Rick Doughty of Vintage Iron, what he thinks.  Any other ideas?  TED

sctilt

I must admit...they are indeed a very elusive item. The search carries on.....Scott!

wildman

I'm pretty sure I have a pair of those goggles hanging in my shop.They are slightly oversprayed with paint and the foam is almost gone. Sorry, but I remember these as pretty crappy because of the cutouts in the bottom of the frame let in a lot of dust. Are you sure you want to reproduce them?   Must be a vintage retro thing:) You can have them if you want  or anything equally worthless to trade? Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

clayman

I have a pair that I've had for many, many years. They are blue and in pretty decent shape, although there is some foam loss around the frame. You wouldn't believe how many people have offered to buy these from me over the years. I quit wearing them in about '91 and they have sat next to my duckbill visor and open face helmet ever since![8D]

Email me if you haven't found any yet.

Clay
[email protected]

rd400pi

Wildman,
  You are right.  I remember the dust issue also.  However in low dust conditions or mud, they were good and good looking, too![8D]

Mike H.

tomale

If you are talking about the goggles we all used back in the early 70's then I have a set. the foam is all gone but are still in pretty good condition. I think the lens is pretty scuffed up but could be used to as a pattern. If you are interested let me know. Email me that would be the best.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

I still have most of my riding gear from back then. I still have the Jofma chest protector,shoulder pads and face guard. I still have the Hallman leathers too. I don't even come close to fitting in them. I gave the boots away to some friends of my son who had no riding gear at all. The Bell helmet the Hallman visor is sitting in my office. I found this "Goofy" baseball hat and with the help of a styrafoam head it looks like Goofy is ready to ride... I am not sure why I still have this stuff.

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OhioTed

No luck with Rick Doughty on the 98's, either, but continued scrounging in my boxes of junk did turn up a pair of Preston Petty Hex Grips.  Egad!  Hey Wildman, I'll give you ten bucks cash for those old goggles (unless you prefer the hex grips).  E-mail me your address & I'll mail you the $$$.  Ted G.

tomale

Im still looking for the goggles, I was sure that I knew were they were, don't give up hope yet.... I just need to dig alittle deeper. I will have more time tonite to look...

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

sctilt