New Zealand Penton owner

Started by KiwiPenton, July 07, 2001, 10:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiPenton

first off   hello to all ,  i have a 1973 penton/ktm  eng #54 30 003 010     7/73
chass # 543 106 8821
carb  bing 54    2/36/102     there is also a 2nd #  r/h side crankcase    # 3-5401 351
this bike is in good cond , it had a red glss tank  black stripe with KTM .   i know nothing about this bike  except the prev owner bought it from Australia  and as far as i know is the only Penton/KTM in NZ
I am givin it a freshen up so i can start racing it here   and would like  to know  if any one knows the paint code (eg PPG /dulon color)  for the frame/tank etc  so i can have the original  or as close to orig colour .     any help   greatly appreciated   thanks       Darryl  W

Steve Talbott

Daryl, FRom the #'s you provided it appears to be a 1973 Harescrambler through and through.The harescrambler that I built and sold last year I painted the engine Satin black with PJ1, the frame i went with sparkle steel,a very cool color.The tank and panels were  a mustard yellow,PPG# 83409 hope this helps.

Steve Talbott
Steve Talbott

Larry Perkins

I believe this might be a 74 bike or at least what we would call a 74.  The chassis was BUILT in October of 73, which is pretty late in the year to still get out and sell as 73.  It also has a red tank like a 74 instead of the yellow 73 color.  Now the motor was made earlier and that is a little confusing.  Is the motor silver/gray or black?  By when it was made I would suspect black but a true 74 should have a silver motor.  Another question-Is the kick shaft close to the same size as the shift shaft or is it larger?  73 motor will have small shaft and 73 will have the large one.  One thing for sure it was then and is now a potent and versitile weapon in the dirtbike wars.  Welcome to the nirvana we call PENTONIA.  It is an "E" ticket ride.

KiwiPenton

thanks for replies  much appreciated,
the motor/frame is away getting tidied up at the mo   but i believe the shafts are of similar size   and is black(motor), the airbox is also yellow.
and the fer rides i have had on it certainly put a mile wide grin on me face     so hopefully   when i race  other riders here might like to have the bike that they could`nt catch  and therefore bring more pentons to NZ   [:-)]
Darryl