New Fenders possible Repop?

Started by DKWRACER, February 25, 2005, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

One of our dedicated members has sent me two fenders for possible reproduction.
First is the KTM Professional front
Second is the original 78/79 GS 6 rear with the slight overhang for the Husky style tail-lamp, looks much like the Falk enduro but wider.
I have only seen three 78/79 bikes in GS trim in the USA...
Any comments greatly appreciated...
Tom...
Thomas Brosius

peter kane

Tom, I just picked up a 79 KTM 250.  It's for sale or to barter for 1970 Six Day parts.

Peter Kane
V3442
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]

DKWRACER

Hey Peter, many thanks for the reply post, and many of your others as well, a "newbee" you are and most welcome! C's list???!!!
In review of the rear fender just sent, I spent some time on the Tiscali website, and trying to understand the many manifestations of the later KTM's, I have come to the conclusion that the fender in offer is for 1978 GS6 a very rare individual MC, I should also make note that I have true 78 GS three hole mtg. side panels as well, so I am a confirmed believer that there was/is a 78 GS 6....I hope that I am right.....Thanks, Tom....
Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

Just a follow-up to the previous post re: 78 GS6 rear fender...
These two fenders came from one of my past customers. He was a dealer and saved some of the original parts. The 78 GS fender is intact and it has it's place in history, along with three hole mtg. side panels (GS6),(I have) What really remains to been seen and heard; how many made Stateside, we really wanted to do this. As you know, making molds is an expensive process, and now that oil is way up, I am also hearing from my fiberglass vendor. If there is a window, I will jump thru it, but I need at least 6 to help pay it's way ...
Thanks for the Support....
Tom.......
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

Tom...De DKWRACER,
  Just a question.  I own a 1978 Penton/KTM? 400.  I haven't looked at it for sometime and am not sure which model it is.  What model of bike is in question as to how few came into the USA?  The GS6 1978 model?  I have always stuck with the Pentons so please bring me up to date....Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

One, within, Donny has sent me a photo of a true 78 GS, you have mail, I believe they both shared the same decals (tank) but the tank is much larger, and it should have a center stand, in looking @ the frame, three hole mtg. of the side panels can be seen, very subtle, but very different, it's a gem, I wish I had one......
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

Tom,
  You have mail.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rcrump1

Tom;
I am just starting on a restoration of what is, I believe, a 78 GS6 400. I was told by the seller that it was a 78 MC5 but it has the rear fender loop and a speedo drive. I believe it also has the three bolt side cover you mentioned, but will have to look again tonight to be sure. It does not have a center stand but I will look tonight to see if any mounting tabs are under there. What else can I look for to determine if this is a true GS6? In any event, I plan to put it in full GS trim during the resto. Are there any numbers on how many were imported in 78?
Thanks for any info.
Richard

rd400pi

I have a Cycle News (I believe) test of the 78.  I need to find it again because I thought it said bike was same just enduro or mx kit differences.  Does this sound right?[?]

Mike H.

John Ehrhart

My '78 GS6 400 was purchased new in Arizona, therefore badged a KTM.
It did NOT come with a centerstand.
It did come with a very pretty, but alas, fragile rear fender. I still have the tail light, however.
I will attempt to post a picture of the bike at the time, but with replacement number panels, as I liked the originals and didn't want to tear them up.

1969 Husqvarna 400 Cross
1974 Monark
1975 Jackpiner
1978 GS6 400
1981 250 MX
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

DKWRACER

Seems as though a little interest is gathering some steam. If you are interested, send me an email and I will send photos of both the original parts and Donny's photo of the 78 GS6, I do also have the side panel decals which can be made in 175/250/400 cc designation.
Thanks, Tom......
Thomas Brosius

rcrump1

Tom;
I would like to see the pictures just to verify that I do have a GS6. If you don't want to post them you can send directly to : [email protected]
Also, will the repop fenders be fiberglass or plastic?
Thanks for all of your efforts.
Richard

DKWRACER

Crips, ever one to be surprised! This fender fits a 77 GS6! I checked the fitment against one of my own. In addition, I rcd. full color dealer brochures showing the existence of this fender (from one of our own) but the biggest question was the rear tailight (Husky looking) fits inside the recess/overhang...Al B. looks as tho he has (tel. confirmation) And so we wait in earnest, both my racer/restorer friend, what to do next, wish Al B. had an email account to exchange photos.....Al/Hal/Pal....Tom...
Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

Hello all, and greetings from Colorado! I posted a picture of the fender to my website, its near the bottom next to Falk MX front...Also talked to Al Buehner yesterday and he has NOS tailights in stock, they are listed under lighting on his USA website...This project may yet come to term, tho I have not heard from many. It is my guess that there are sleepers out there esp. 1977 GS6's, so I will continue to work on this project....Thanks, and Go Team Penton errr KTM..Tom....
Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

Hello all, and greetings from Colorado! I posted a picture of the fender to my website, its near the bottom next to Falk MX front...Also talked to Al Buehner yesterday and he has NOS tailights in stock, they are listed under lighting on his USA website...This project may yet come to term, tho I have not heard from many. It is my guess that there are sleepers out there esp. 1977 GS6's, so I will continue to work on this project....Thanks, and Go Team Penton errr KTM..Tom....
Thomas Brosius