Throttle Cable for 74 Jackpiner

Started by Tommy_V, March 02, 2005, 10:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_V

Hi Guys, I'm replacing my Jackpiner a piece at a time it seems lately.  Working feverishly to get ready for a big vintage trail ride next week.  Anyway, Der Binger is rebuilt, put it together last night and ... the slide wouldn't snap closed.  Hmmm...?  Thought it was the spring, put in a higher rate spring, better, but no go!  Maybe this was my reving issue at Mid-Ohio?  Turns out my throttle cable was a little kinked and binding!  I had a Maico cable for a bing that worked, but a little short.  Suggestions for a quick place to get a new cable?

Thanks,

Tommy
Tommy

Steve Minor

Have you tried Al Buehner? He should be able to over-nite one......

Alan Buehner
5818 Detroit Ave
Cleveland, OH 44102
Phone: 216-651-6559
Fax: 216-651-1620
Steve Minor

Paul Danik

Tommy,
  I have fixed some cables when no other option existed by first working out the kink, sometimes some bending and light taping with a mallet will straighten out the jacket. The next step it to hold the cable by one end and let the other end dangle.  Spray some WD40 or simular product into the jacket and keep working the jacket up and down and keep spraying more WD40 into it till it runs out the bottom.  This will flush out any grime and really lossens up a sticky cable, besides making a slight mess:D It helps to hold a rag at the top as you spray to catch any overspray and have a rag on the floor.  I use this process on my cables anytime I have them off of the bike to keep them working smoothly.  

I spend a lot of time when setting up a bike to get the cables routed in such a way as to avoid kinks and allow the cables to operate smoothly no matter how far the bars are turned.
Hope this helps.
Paul