Fuel

Started by rich allison, March 22, 2005, 08:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Steve Minor

Hey Tom...(DKWRacer) In an earlier post you said "...I tend to shy away from the following mixture: 101 unleaded mixed 50/50 with 91 pump 40:1 Maxima 927...."

Is there something about Maxima 927 that I should know? Its one of the few oils I have to choose from at my local bike shop. No one around me carries Golden Spectro...

Steve
Steve Minor

Frenfroe

Maxima 927 is a semi-synthetic blend of castor, synthetic, and possibly normal oils with additives that keep everything from seperating. It doesn't cause ring sticking as normal(100%) castor may but smells like the real thing. Sweet!  The K2 that I mentioned is Maxima's best 100% synthetic.

50:1 with 927 may be too thin a mixture for longest engine life, it is a blend. Castor is usually mixed at heavier ratios than normal oils anyway.

I don't hesitate to use K2 at 50:1 in any air-cooled bike......if jetting is correct and timing isn't too far advanced. In modern water-cooled trials bikes we usually mix a 100% synthetic oil at 80:1, some use 100:1. Typically our bikes run over 5 years putting a lot of hours on them practicing, in competition, and ripping from section to section, before they need rings or bearings. That says a lot for modern oils at light mix ratios.

Looking at the posts after my 1st, I seem to have been declared an idiot. My statement was that min. octane requirement in my Penton manual was 95 for the 175. You can't buy 95 where I live. We tend to jet our bikes, in the sake of more power, a little leaner than factory settings. We also may advance the timing a smidgen to get more power. More power=more heat add too low octane and we get detonation, shortened engine (rod, bearings and possibly piston) life, possibly a heat sezure "meltdown".

My GasGas 280 pings like crazy on 93 pump gas, GasGas recommends 95 octane. I could never retard the timing enough and rejet to get pump 93 to not ping. It runs fine at 95+ octane.

The cheapest 95 I have been able to create is the 100 LL and 93 mix. 100LL has little lead compared to leaded race fuels. I don't get any lead fouling on my plugs with it like I got with VP110, VP c4 (112), and other leaded race fuel blends.

Each to his own. I love America!

Frank

Steve Minor

Frank......In your opinion....do you see anything wrong with mixing Maxima 927 @40:1 with the high octane pump gas for my 77 400 GS6?

Thanks for the input

Steve
Steve Minor

Frenfroe

Steve, I realize I stuck 50:1 in where I meant 40:1 on the 927.

IMO,[:0] I know it's not much difference between 32, 40, and 50:1 but I'd err towards 32:1 (4 oz/gallon) with the 927 if I were racing it. Oil costs less than motor rebuilds! I have no problem with the oil itself.

I'm pretty sure straight castor usually gets mixed at 24-32:1, I run synthetics at 50:1, therefore with a blend I'd lean towards the heavier mix.

I have heard, don't know how right they were, that the "927" stood for 9 parts synthetic to(2) 7 parts castor or vice-versa.

Frank

Merlin

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Dennis Jones

I run Golden Spectro at 50-1 with 93 octane pump gas in all my bikes, lawn mower, weedeater, chainsaw, and leaf blower. I'm not an expert rider or a chemist but with no top end failures in 25 years of using it I think I'm sold on it.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Merlin

.......no problem,why try to enlighten those that wish not to be?????......

Mick Milakovic

As I said earlier in this thread, I've been using Specto synthetic in my bikes the last 3 years with good success.  Is Specto another brand of Golden Spectro?

Mick

Lew Mayer

Rich,
this is only my preference. I use 50/50 CAM 2 purple and high-test pump gas.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dennis D

105 octane leaded from the speed shop and golden spectro 50:1 in both my 72 Piners Dennis D

firstturn

One word of caution: Heat  If you are running anything over 100 octaine, have a close bore and you are a fast rider you could have problems.  Please I do not want to debate this, but it is my thoughts and believe me I have accesses to any level of fuels that are made.  Just my take.:)

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

I am running 105 with maxim super m 40/1 with no problems. I wish I could find cam 2 fuel here.I used it in my 430 Husky in Charleston and I cut it with 93 unleaded.It would FLYYYY

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mick Milakovic

With all due respect to the riding abilities of everyone in this group (specially guys like "Smokin" Tom Benolkin):  Does octane really mean that much?  I know I'm not even close to the potential of my bikes running straight gas.  

Just for the record, I use Spectro synthetic mixed 50:1 and premium pump gas from the same Shell station every time.  I've never had a problem, my plugs run clean and I'm pretty sure my jetting will remain the same with the same gas.

Mick

rich allison

I wasn't as concerned about the octane as I was about the leaded unleaded issue. If unleaded works just as good as the leaded racing fuel I will run the pump gas mainly because it is a lot cheaper.

thanks

richard j allison
Rich