Opti 2 Oil

Started by tlanders, November 28, 2005, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by tlanders

Thanks for all the imput guys. I quess I can conclude from all of this:

1. I shouldn't use Golden Spectro in my power valve bikes because it leaves too much gummy residue. So now I only need to find out what oil leaves the least amount of residue at any given fuel/oil ratio. I assume the lower the fuel/oil ratio is, the more residue will be deposited.
2. I shouldn't use Opti 2 oil if the engine is being pushed to a power density of over 250 HP/Liter. I believe my 2001 KTM 200 EXC produces around 30 to 35 HP or 150 to 200 HP/Liter, so I can use Opti oil.
3. I should be mixing whatever oil is selected at 32:1 to optimize power because the oil helps seal the rings. The only problem with this conclusion is that all my bikes are jetted for 54:1 and I would have to rejet all my bikes. Also, if a lower fuel/oil ratio does produce more residue, then I am not helping solve my original problem of the stuck power valve.
4. A shot of cake will solve all interpersonal relationship problems.

So I guess I need to find a very clean burning oil designed for power valves at a 32:1 mixture. Please give me your oil selection suggestions and/or tell me why I don't need the 32:1 mixture. The most obvious answer to the last question is that I am an old, vintage bike rider and don't need the 0.01% increase in power that the 32:1 will give me because I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it!!!

Thanks again guys,

Teddy

Teddy, Maxima Super M is clean and can be mixed at 32:1 to 40:1 ( I mix at 40:1 ).  Dick Leichen , founder of Maxima , told me that Super M is so good that if he could figure out how to get the smell of Castor into it that he would discontinue Maxima 927. If I ran Spectro, I would run at 40:1 for best protection. It does a good job of lubing. BUT, it still is a very dirty oil. Probaby more so than 927 castor.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

tlanders

My local bike dealer said that Maxima K2 was the cleanest oil for use with power valves. How does it compare to the Super M?

Teddy

wildman

Dudes, I've got to defend Golden Spectro.
First of all, it Was Hi-Point brand oil first. Nuff said.
Second, I've used it in my 2 stage powervalved RMX for 15 years and have never had a stuck valve. Yes, a little carbon on piston top (shows the flow pattern). I tear my top end down every second year, slap in new rings and clean the valve mechanism, no big deal. I probably get 80 running hours in two years running Trail Tours.I could mix at 60:1 but run 50:1 with drool out the pipe. I've looked at Golden Spectro SX, it mixes at 32:1 so I would need two bottles for a weekend.
I'm glad we live in America where we have so many choices, so many opinions and we can express them freely. Lets always remember to be tolerant of others,( and their stupid opinions ;)
It's like loving Pentons and not Ho-das, brand loyalty! We tend to stay with what works for us and reject the unknown. Isn't it funny how people get upset or poke fun at other choices?
Just my 2 cents worth, Happy Holidays everyone, Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

tlanders

Hey Guys,

I just logged onto the Maxima site to see if I could answer my last question and I found a very interesting article in their tech section. It talked about exhaust oil drool primarily being created by incorrect pilot jet sizing and air screw settings. Read it at

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/lubenews/springsummer2001.pdf

I found the K2 is a 100% ester based synthetic oil and has better specs than the Super M which has some petroleum based products in it. Oil is broken down into 5 main groups. Groups 4 and 5 are the 100% synthetics with the PAOs in group 4 and the esters in group 5. Anyone using K2?

Teddy

socalmx

I raced small bores in the California desert where you pegged the throttle and worked the gearbox. I ran Bardahl VBA ($1.25 per can), Penzoil, and Golden Spectro none of which I considered to be exotic. Bottom line is run what you feel works best for your situation.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Merlin

..............my name is Merlin,and your chainsaw example illustrates my point perfectly,that same engine would have had the same result with straight gas...............................get it up in the 250 HP per litre zone not 44 and let us know how it turned out.................

I am sorry that I mis-spelled your name.
Please forgive me for that.Will not be happening again.
Cheers,Speedy-------->>>>>>>>>:(

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.
KTM Adventure 02

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by behindbars

Hi Speedy. I was wondering what Opti oil uses for a base stock? Is this a synthetic lube? Is this product available in the US, and if so what name is it marketed under. I have not seen it before. I'd like to thank you for some good advice you gave me a few years back ago at Mid-Ohio. Phil Ketchum introduced us. What to do with rusty fuel tanks was the question I had for you and your advice to use lead shot to coat the tank was most appreciated. Good advice for sure.

Hello.
Yes Opti-2 is a syntetic blend oil,utilizing patented additives including gasohol compatibility,and fuel stabilizer.OPTI(first name OPTIMOL)was first developed 1934 in Munich Germany.During the war they where ordered to create a oil with ermergancy running additives which let German War planes which where shot in the belly over England,and run dry,safely return home where they could be repaired and no PILOT was lost.OPTIMOL was able to create this calling it the 3 stage (GENERATION) system.After the war they used there Technology further into the Engine development.From 2 stroke mixes of 20-1 they could,by using there system go to 50-1 in 1960.By 1970 they could run engines under racing conditions 100-1.In the 80s they where taken over by CASTROL.The US Importer-Distributor is in Bellingham,WA under the name INTERLUBE INTERNATIONAL INC.
//www.opti2-4.com
I am using OPTI2-4 in all my vehicles since 1970 in Canada(since 1962 in Germany)
Cheers,Speedy------->>>>>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.
KTM Adventure 02

Cliff Cook

Dwight,

Add to the fun even more.  Toss in your recommendation for CCI at 20:1
German Chocolate for me, but no ice cream, lactose intolerant, you know.   Cliff C

john durrill

Teddy,
  Here is my 2 cents from reading this post and the ones in years past on fuel and oil. We may have more than one reason for the drool on some pipes. Piston port engine's in a high state of tune would exhibit problems with the mix down low in the rpm range. I don t think the piston would shut the intake port off before some of the intake charge would blow back into the air box. I don t think they  run very efficient off the pipe and that would further add to the problem. Thats not to say we should not check our carb settings at low speed.
 From what we have read in this thread , it sounds like pure synthetic might give us some problems if the bikes were stored for a length of time. One might need to put something like the Marine folks use in each cylinder at the end of a season.
 It looks like there are a bunch of variables that have contributed to each persons experiances with oil.
 For us to know for sure what would work we would have to all be useing a constant and changing only one thing at a time. That would be hard to do with the group scatterd all over creation.
  From this post and the ones in years past it sounds like some oils don t like some of the  additives in some of the gas we buy . It looks like it can cause some of the oils to break down.
 Golden Specrto has worked for me in everything available at our pumps from 1970 to today and with the LL Avgas. Opti worked for us with todays pump gas and the Maxium Super M has worked so far with todays pump gas.( thats with what ever they add for my market in Florida).
 Both the Super M and the Opti burn a lot cleaner than Spectro if thats what your looking for.
 It does'nt look like there is a silver bullet that will solve this one for us as a group. Chuckle Chuckle!
John D.