71 Penton Six Days parts needed

Started by motoxrcr, December 01, 2005, 08:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoxrcr

JUST bought my very first Penton, a mostly complete 1971 Six Days out a basement in Michigan. The bike is almost all there and complete except for a few items the now deceased previous owner removed. Could use a set of stock fenders (now has Boss period black plastic?) and an unbroken air box and boot. The cover is fine if I remember correctly. Would also like to find a tool bag for the tank in any reasonable condition or even a nice repop. This bike BEGS for a restoration due to condition (upper nice to excellent given age)for a 35 year old bike. Help the new guy out PLEASE! Did I mention that I paid $600 for it? Oh yes, it runs too!

All Golf courses should be motocross tracks!

motoxrcr

Just looking through the pictures of your gatherings. This may not be a 1971? It is the green metal tanked bike but I don't know the year for sure yet. Thank you,
Chris

rfpotter

If you open the section of this website labeled "production years", I believe it will help you to determine exactly what you now own.

Patrick Houston
Cosby, Tennessee

Rain Man

oh oh,watch out Cris, some of these Poggers are serious golfers, and they may start mailing golf balls to you :D:D

Welcome to Pog !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

motoxrcr

Guys I need some help here interpreting what year bike I have. The numbers on the plate of the motor say: 6551309
I don't understand what this means since as I follow the engine codes, this would be for a 400CC bike. Mine is certainly not a 400CC bike to my ignorant knowledge. It is a green steel tanked six days, with the small headlight, round plastic(broken) airbox and a Bing carb that says: 1/26/127 on the upper body. Man is that carb a heavy bugger! Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated since this is my first Penton and will be the showcase item of my collection. I also have a 1974 Yamaha MX360 (a rider) and may have a 1969 Ducati if that one comes out of the older lady's basement who now owns it. Another fantastic deal if it comes through. Anyone ever have a Ducati dirt bike from that period[?]

firstturn

motoxrcr,
  Just take the number off the steering head and post it and we can help you with the year.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

The engine codes listed are for the KTM powered Pentons, not the Sachs Powered. Like Ron said, post the frame number from the steering head. It should start with a V followed by 4 numbers. This will help tell what year Steel Tanker you have.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

motoxrcr

Here are the head stay numbers from my Penton Six days:
V4887
If anyone can help me find out what year I have it may help out. I also have a fresh line on a 1973 Jackpiner that I will be looking at in about a week. I spoke to the owner and he says it is about 90% complete save for a seat and some other parts. Haven't seen it yet so I don't know what kind of condition the rest is in.
Also, my Penton six days has CSC black fenders on it. Were these common back in the day? IS there anyone near Grand Rapids, MI in the club? I would assume so?
Any help is always appreciated.
Chris Schaible
Parts Unlimited rep 312

OUCWBOY

Hello Chris,
your V4887 bike is indeed a 1971 Penton Six Day, refered to as a Steel Tanker. It came stock with Aluminum fenders front and back. Late in 1971 Penton introduced the all NEW Six Day with the fiber glass take and a completely redesigned CMF frame. These were actually the 1972 year models, just released early and some people call them 71's because on the CMF bikes the 1st three numbers of the frame number represented the year and month of production. Example a CMF bike with the 1st three numbers of 110, would be 1=1971 and 10=Oct, but again these are really 1972 year models.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

motoxrcr

Well, since I know it to be a 71' Penton 125 steel tanker thanks to the post below, does anyone have a plastic airbox for sale for this model? I will also need a 90 degree airbox boot since the previous owner cut the stock one in half to get it off the bike. I have the bing but it is in parts in a box. I also have the handlebar mounted black lever that looks like a compression release and cables of some sort (also in a box)? I guess I need a parts book or copy of to start on this project. I'll be bringing it home next week in the covered trailer to keep the road salt off it. Woohoo, we have snow!

firstturn

Chris,
  Go to this location and you will see a picture of the aircleaner and L shaped part you need.  Unless you have the back plate to the aircleaner you will need it also.  This is Al Buehner's web site and he can help you with a manual also.  

http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/catalog.php?pagenum=10

Good luck.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Chris,
  If you get the MX style aircleaner cover which is metal you will not need the snorkel tube that hooks into the frame. There is a small cover that covers the hole in the frame if you use the MX cover, maybe it is in your goodie box, it has KTM on it.
   The handlebar mounted black lever sounds like it is the choke lever and cable for the Bing carb.
Paul

motoxrcr

Thanks for all the info guys, it is very helpful to ask someone who knows the specifics of the bike. Yes, that makes sense that it would be a choke lever now that you mention it. Keep in mind that I am only 40 years old so Pentons were not in my mindset growing up. I was more of a late 70's Yamaha kind of guy. Like fine wine, one matures with age and begins to appreciate some cool older bikes. So much for waxing poetic on you....
I'm on my way to restoring yet another of the old bikes. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I may also be buying a 73' Jackpiner from the original owner. This could get ugly very quickly, especially in my business (motorcycle parts and accessory sales)!!!! I meet so many people who find bikes and parts for me already. Ask my wife, I'm a "junk" collector as she sees it. Like most wives however, they never seem to complain when the "junk" makes them money.;)