1973 Jackpiner Frame Color

Started by goodz1, January 02, 2006, 03:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodz1

Was there an optional color used on the frame for 1973?  I did find reference to a "Mellow White" color in the forums.

[email protected]

Rain Man

Welcome to the penton Owners Group Web Site Mr. goodz1,
  I have 3 JP's over here and none of them had anything but silver frames. I used PJ1 grey/silver with clear coat over them.  
   There is a list of paints that mr.Brosius came up with listed under his website on the suppliers page.
 Somebody else may chime in here with more information about the
"mellow white"
 Have fun and good luck

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Doug Wilford

PJ-1 KTM silver/Grey and you won't need the clear coat to tone it down.   It is also an epoxy.

DKWRACER

Hey Doug, hope you haven't been sampling some Capt.Morgan's,one of Ray's wife's favorites, heard also of the adventures of a "white shop" with new cabinets, sure wish my shop looked so good [8D]
Tom?
Thomas Brosius

bentrims

Tom,
In case you did not get my internal e-mail...Thank you for the fender. It came the same day as the rear fender you found me on the net.

They go well with the gold rims. Maybe a bit on the Evo side for a 6 days. But thats ok. The standard stuff can stay on a shelf while this stuff collects the battle scars.
Thanks again.

Tom Benolkin

bentrims

PS

Who out there in Penton land is going to Phoenix for the AHRMA opener?

Chakka

I powder coated my first frame but all others have been sprayed with PJ1 KTM silver/gray. I figured if I rode the bike for a while and the paint started to flake or chip I could always powder coat later. So far after a season of riding the PJ1 painted frame on my Six Day looks very good. That paint is pretty tough.

On the other hand the frame I powder coated needed a bracket welded on to support the exhaust pipe, that pretty much ruined the fine finish on that frame.
Chakka

sixdazed

Hi Tom,I'll be in phoenix for the opener(i live in tucson).What do you need?i was thinking of going with the green rims on one of my sixdays-but that might be a little (a lot?)over the top!if i can help at phx. just let me know.  Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

bentrims

Hi Ric,
Green rims would give you a real fingerprint of your own and that may be cool in itself. I only have 3 races on my bike since Doug Wilford went through it so I dont think I will do much to it other than cosmetics. It really runs strong.

Thanks for offering man. Go Penton! TB

I have owned plenty CR 125s but these are way more fun to ride !

bentrims

Chakka,

Does PJ1 have an internet site? I do need to lay down a little silver after re-centering the rear fender posts. My last Olympic dismount did not score well with the judges.
Tom B
Still Crazy After All These Beers

Chakka

Tom,
I'm not sure if PJ1 has a site. I got mine online from:

http://www.ktm-parts.com/

They shipped super fast, I had my paint in about 2 days. Be carefull to clean out the spray nozzle well after use. I find the PJ1 Epoxy clogs those nozzles solid if not cleaned correctly.

Sorry to hear you didn't score a perfect 10 on your dismount. How did you recenter your fender post? I need to bend the whole rear loop on mine up about an inch to lessen the gap between seat and rear fender.
Chakka

bentrims

Chakka,
Thanks for the paint info and tips. Sanitary restorers  will kringe reading this but us hacker MX guys are cool with what ever works.

I stoked up 2 propane torchers (With the help of a lovely assistant)and centered their heat about an inch after the shock gusset to the rear. Dont hold the torch in one place...in the words of Frank Zappa use a "magnificent circular motion".

When the steel begins to smile a glowing smile simply wack the loop end area (farthest back) with a big rubber mallet until the center of the loop is over the center of your middle knobby.

One thing is for sure. Its alot more fun bending the fender hoop than bending it back.

Now you can see why its time for the PJ1. Thanks again. TB

firstturn

Chakka,
  Thanks for the KTM parts site.  It is really one of the more user friendly sites I have seen.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Chakka

My pleasure Ron,

None of the cycle shops in my area carry the color selection in PJ1 paints for vintage bikes so I had to improvise.

I am still in the market for a VDO bracket for my 76', if you have any extras??
Chakka

wolfmanonapenton

The best paint for all year Pentons is ameron I think thats how it spelled oilfield enamels( by Target);) sold by Granger supply or Massy fergason farm tractor enamel down at tractor supply,the orange on the after 78 ktm is the same as chevy283,v8 early 427 block color orange paint you can get it in cans,(3) should do a mc5 frame nicelybottom of frame first then from top down,use a clear coat after dry to take out any orange peel or dry spots from overspray that cant be rubbed out?And by the way for those of you who want to make marzochis look great cheap?down at walmart pick up some rustoleum hammerd gold metalic paint want more of an 79-82 husky gold or have a husky to do pick up some plasticoat,odds and ends,in the little craft cans,(1) little can should make a set of sliders look a brighter more of a81-82 husky legg gold if you like that golder gold look same color as some of the husky silencers were painted to those years!Just some help from the wolfman!;)