'74 250 Questions

Started by Dave Hefterich, August 04, 2001, 02:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Hefterich

What was the difference between the KTM 250 that was sold in Europe and the Hare Scrambler that was sold here? Any hassels with AHRMA on the suspension on the '74 1/2 as long as you don't use the forward top mount? Are those forks "7 or more? Is Allen making new carb boots for this bike yet? I don't know Bob I am starting to waver on if I really want to sell it.

Larry Perkins

My understanding is that 74 bikes equipped with normal shock set-up like the 73 250 were early and they were sent to the states and in Europe the first 74 250's were like we call 74 1/2 with multi-adjustible rear.  The rear of these whether European or U.S. can be put in the normal shock position and when lightly bumpered will pass AHRMA inspection.  The potential problem is in the front.  Somewhere between 74 1/2 and 75 models the Ceriani forks changed to the ones with the rib in the front.  The lower legs are turned down and have a rib along the front of them to aid in rigidity.  I suspect the first European ones were this way and ours came clo0ser to the 75 model.  That is sort of the pattern KTM had developed by then. These forks are a tad too long travel for AHRMA rules but I see many get through Tech Inspection as Vintage.  They are about an inch too much in reality.  Spacers can be made to change it if Vintage is the goal.  I must add my opinion that the 74 1/2 and 75 model Penton/KTM stock in the suspension area is a very potent weapon in the AHRMA Post-Vintage Historic class.