Lectron Carbs

Started by tlanders, January 17, 2006, 02:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

WOW!!!! My Lectron came Friday. On Saturday it took less than 1 hour to adjust the metering rod for proper idle and the power jet for top end power and install it on my 1984 KTM 250 MXC. Speedy steered me correctly on the metering rod size, 4.1 for this bike, to begin with. It makes that bike fly. I can't wait for the first race!!!! Now to convert my MC5 and MC80 and 495 to Lectrons!!!

I do have the dealer kit now and I can get you prices but there are so many options, that the only way to do it is by phone at this time. At some point, I will have the options, instructions, tech info and order blanks on a website so you can order and pay for the carbs online. However, right now my "real" job is consumming me. My home number is 417-256-0699 and work is 417-256-2002. Before you call, please measure the air horn and spigot outside diameter sizes, the spigot inside diameter size (size of carb) and the overall length of the carb you are replacing. I will also be wanting to know if the engine has been modified from original like porting, different pipe, etc.

Thanks for your patience,

Teddy

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by tlanders

WOW!!!! My Lectron came Friday. On Saturday it took less than 1 hour to adjust the metering rod for proper idle and the power jet for top end power and install it on my 1984 KTM 250 MXC. Speedy steered me correctly on the metering rod size, 4.1 for this bike, to begin with. It makes that bike fly. I can't wait for the first race!!!! Now to convert my MC5 and MC80 and 495 to Lectrons!!!

I do have the dealer kit now and I can get you prices but there are so many options, that the only way to do it is by phone at this time. At some point, I will have the options, instructions, tech info and order blanks on a website so you can order and pay for the carbs online. However, right now my "real" job is consumming me. My home number is 417-256-0699 and work is 417-256-2002. Before you call, please measure the air horn and spigot outside diameter sizes, the spigot inside diameter size (size of carb) and the overall length of the carb you are replacing. I will also be wanting to know if the engine has been modified from original like porting, different pipe, etc.

Thanks for your patience,

Teddy

Great,...The BLITZ is yolting--->>>>>>>>>>.
Put your orders in Guys.It s for your best.
Speedy------>>>>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs MC-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.

Kip Kern

Are airbox to carb boots available for Lectrons[?]

tlanders

Kip,

Which airbox? Remember Lectron can turn down the air horn and sleeve the spigot to try to match the carb you are taking off. I will get all those dimensions figured out and posted as soon as I have some time. Read my last post about you measuring your carb and telling me what it is so I can tell you whether you need to change rubber or not.

Teddy

tlanders

Kip,

Which airbox? Remember Lectron can turn down the air horn and sleeve the spigot to try to match the carb you are taking off. I will get all those dimensions figured out and posted as soon as I have some time. Read my last post about you measuring your carb and telling me what it is so I can tell you whether you need to change rubber or not.

Teddy

Kip Kern

Teddy  The stock airbox on a 1978 250 MC 5 (red plastic box)  Thanks!

454MRW

I believe the boot from carb to airbox on my 78 MC5 250 is 72mm at the airbox and 52mm at the carb with a length of 60mm. The opening on the airboot is offset completely to one side. I hope this helps, as I can't locate one either and may have to try E6000 to repair the crack in the only one I have. I bought an NOS one on eBay some time back that was the same dimensions except for a longer length and trimmed it to fit my 1980 250.

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 Harescrambler
1977 250 MC5 Project
1978 250 MX6  
1979 250 KTM Project
1980 250 MX KTM
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Big Mac

Kip,
You've probably checked this out already, but see the carb to airbox boots that the guys at //www.ozktm.com offer. Haven't found a combo they don't have or won't make, including Lectron, at very reasonable prices. Ted or Speedy should stock some to include with Lectron conversion kits. Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

454MRW

I sent them an email over a week ago about air box boots and items, and never got a response back. I will try again.

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 Harescrambler
1977 250 MC5 Project
1978 250 MX6  
1979 250 KTM Project
1980 250 MX KTM
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

DKWRACER

Mike, pretty sure Rob down-under has the taller offset boot near to the dimensions you describe, I have one coming from him Tom....
Thomas Brosius

Rocket

I have bought an airboot from ozktm and received it in a couple of weeks.  Fit perfectly and price wasn't too bad either.  This was for a 78 MC5 250.
Rocket

tlanders

Lectron will turn the airhorn down to 52mm to fit the standard boot. I have had them turn one down to 54mm and another to 52mm. I have had them sleeve the spigot side up from 41.6mm to 45mm to fit a Mikuni flanged rubber intake adapter. The only thing that we need to make sure works is the overall length on the older bikes. If you are converting a Bing to a Lectron and the bing was the old style that fit over the intake spigot on the engine, then you'll have to cut off the intake spigot a little and use a rubber hose over it and the carb to connect the two. This will still end up with a longer overall length and will crowd the air boot. I know this is a real problem with Mikuni conversions to the older airboxes because I did two of them on my Mint 400 and my 1973 Hare Scrambler. I had to turn a special aluminum airboot adapter and press fit it onto the carb airhorn. It works great, but costs to have the machining done.

I am looking forward to the first Lectron to older Penton airbox conversion. For AHRMA racing, there will be no demand for this because the Lectron can only be used on the post vintage bikes, or in Penton terms, from the 1976 MC5 and newer which do not use the old fiberglass airbox.

Teddy

SouthRider

Wow, Lectrons, you're making me feel old.

Don Burgess put a 40 mm Lectron on a Rokon one time - boy did that thing fly. It ran like a turbine on jet fuel.

His shop in Kenner La used to be alongside the New Olreans airport. That Rokon could outrun a commercial passenger jet under full throttle for the 1st 1/8 mile.

Those carbs were miracle workers in the late 70's early 80's. They were the absolute ticket to replace a worn out bing (and many new ones).

We straightened out quite a few problems on the GS 125's with them.

Tuning tip - if you find your bike falls between 2 metering rods - break out your old Arkansas whetstone & lap it in till you get just the right fit (better do it with a spare though).......
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

SouthRider

Wow, Lectrons, you're making me feel old.

Don Burgess put a 40 mm Lectron on a Rokon one time - boy did that thing fly. It ran like a turbine on jet fuel.

His shop in Kenner La used to be alongside the New Olreans airport. That Rokon could outrun a commercial passenger jet under full throttle for the 1st 1/8 mile.

Those carbs were miracle workers in the late 70's early 80's. They were the absolute ticket to replace a worn out bing (and many new ones).
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

tlanders

I raced my newly converted to a Lectron 1984 250 KTM MXC last weekend at the AHRMA nationals in Phoenix, it's first outing. I won the Post Vintage MX races with it. It out motored the 400cc bikes down the straight, it was awesome. My closest competitor was racing a 490 Maico!!! I can't wait for the next race!!!

Teddy