Hey Dane....I need your opinion on a Motoplat ques

Started by Steve Minor, January 29, 2006, 06:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Yesterday I was replacing a very badly corroded battery cable on my daughters SUV and the guy at the parts store recommended that I spray the new cable ends and connection points with "CRC Battery Terminal Protector". He said it's a silicone based spray that will prevent future corrosion. I used it on the new battery connection. It's real slippery and has a red tint. My question is: would it be safe to use on Motoplat mounting plates/bolts....a common spot of corrosion. And, would it help ensure a positive coil to frame ground and motor to frame?

Any thoughts?.......I value your opinion
Steve
Steve Minor

Gavin Housh

Steve, although I'm not Dane I believe he recommends using dielectric grease. I would think CRC is just about the same thing. Better wait for his opinion. Gavin

TGTech

Steve,

Anything you can do to prevent corrosion from occuring, is a good thing. You want to be sure that you have very clean surfaces before you spray the surfaces.

The one question I have is, does this spray allow an electrical contact or are you supposed to spray the surfaces AFTER you make the connections.

Dane

454MRW

Very good point! Most of the automotive products are designed to be sprayed on after the contact is made thus sealing out the moisture and helping to reduce corrosion. The die-electric grease that comes with items such as ignition modules for electronic ignitions promotes conductivity as well as help keep moisture out. Most auto parts stores should have this available.

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 Harescrambler
1975 250 HS Project
1977 250 MC5 Project
1978 250 MX6  
1979 250 KTM Project
1980 250 MX KTM
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Steve Minor

Dane....thanks for the reply.

The guy at the auto parts store told me to wire brush all the components and spray all connection points prior to assembly, then spray everything again after assembly. I understood the spray to be more of a corrosion preventer than a conduction enabler. But since corrosion is our enemy, I thought it would be useful on all the "problem areas".

It shouldn't hurt anything should it?

Steve Minor

Rain Man

Steve, one thing to remember about automotive applications:   automobiles have a battery and a starter and a + or - 60 amp alternator. And the applied draw, IE: heater, AC,wipers,   and power everything...

Our Pentons dont have as much current draw and the basic requirment of our ignition systems is to "make a spark, on time"
  Sometimes less is better !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons