February 2006 Home Page Photo

Started by Admin, February 06, 2006, 04:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

What, if anything, is different about this Penton?  

Don Roth

Well, besides the 'non-standard' shade of
blue on tank and the decal, I see NO KTM logo,
if my ole eyes are working, seems to be
a 'PENTON' machined into the mag cover.
Frame also seems mighty 1971-ish,
also gas tank cap is steel tanker type.
Just a swag,
-don

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
A few quick observations. Bike has a centerstand. Has a front fender bracket from a Steeltanker and a fork brace. Looks like it may have 35mm forks and triple clamps from a Steeltanker. Also looks like the exhaust (minus the heatshield) is from CMF 125.
Dave McCullough

OUCWBOY

I'm thinking the forks look too small to be 35's!?!?! Swingarm only has one position for shock mounting and looks like an Amal Carb. Also the front mount for the tank strap looks different.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

rob w

.Front attachment of tank strap bolted onto frame, instead of usual hook-in-hole.
.Tank decals with slanted type.
.Unpainted top-end for '72 model.
.Bosch ignition instead of Motoplat.

Rain Man

I wonder how they got that 175 JP motor into that steeltanker frame [?]
  Its also missing the rear motor mounts.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

OUCWBOY

Raymond,
That is not a Steel Tanker frame. Just thought I'd let you know that![8D]

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Kip Kern

Cool!  This could be my next project!  I just borrowed that same centerstand from John B. to repop. Thanks Dane for the photos;)

cubfan1968

Some bikes are described as "Show Quality" or "Pristine" this mount is a "Warrior". What a great looking Penton, who owns it?

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

gthong

I like the "i'VE BEEN RIDDEN" a bit but not "ragged on" look ..

what a cool piece..  as with most bikes
.. I always like "the other guys bike" as much or more than my own!!!

TGTech

It's time for me to get everybody thinking (guessing?) a little bit. I'll throw out one clue and see what sort of guesses people might provide. For those few people who might know something about this machine, don't give it away right off the bat.

Here's your clue: This bike was like no other Jackpiner produced.

Dane

firstturn

Let me know when I can come out of the corner?  This is really a neat monthly quiz.[:p]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Bryson Williams

Don't know much about Pentons, the frame seems to be an aftermarket or special.  Look at the welding to cobby for a Penton.  Kinda reminds me of a Cheney frame.

Dirk

crash carden

Hello Poger's my guess on this Penton is that it is the true prototype of the 1972 KTM powered Jackpiner. Looks cool[8D]! Would it be possible to post some more pictures? I would to see the other side and some close up's of the engine, etc. Thanks for posting this one it is a great looking machine.[^] Crash Carden, Go Team Penton!

fasmith

I don't know anything about the early bikes...  but that looks like a sand cast cover... meaning one-off and as Crash says.. a proto..and the weld around the swingarm pivot.. whew.. as if there was relocation of some sort of the swingarm.  Just my guess.

Freddie