Mudguards,,,,,,Alloy fenders

Started by rob w, February 16, 2006, 12:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Where does the time go ?
Here are my recent findings in the search for the elusive aluminum/alloy Penton replacement fenders.

I purchased this set from Royal Enfield in MN.
From this site page you can type in the page number in the upper right.
Bottom of page 46. Front fender
Top of page 47. Rear fender
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/icatalog/t1.htm

The set was about $99 delivered.
My opinion: From what I've seen available, and looking for the past 4 years. These are the closet to the original Steel Tanker fenders I have found. Not perfect of course, but a very good start and I'm happier.
-1st noticeable difference is the shape of the ends. The ends (front of the front, and back of the rear) on the original Penton fenders are more blunt or have a larger cut-off radius. These fenders are more rounded on those exposed ends.  
-As for this front fender compared to the originals found on the '72 models...for me...they're not quite *deep enough to completely satisfy my '72 needs. They're a whole lot better than nothing, and I'll probably put some on a '72....but we might be able to do better some day for the '72 fronts.
*Deep
a)Does'nt wrap around the sides as far.
b)Length of profile curvature not as long.
c)The R.E.(Royal Enfield) fender = 1" deep, stock '72 = 1 3/8" deep.

Good for the Steel tankers though. Like I said before, if they fit and look more-better on one model than the other, that's fine. At least I've gotten somewhere since I have two 70's and two 72's without any fenders.

Orig. S.T. rear..1 9/16" deep
R.E. rear........1 9/16" deep (SAME)
Orig. S.T. rear ..5" wide
R.E. rear.........5" wide (SAME)
Orig. S.T. front....varies
Orig. '72 front...4 3/8" wide
R.E. front........4 1/8" wide
Orig. '72 front..1 3/8" deep
R.E. front.......1" deep

Also these R.E. fenders only have one end beaded/finished (matl. folded over, with a little raised lip on the outside edge).
That's fine for the rears because only one edge is exposed on the '72's.
On the SteelTankers it was'nt done to that end anyway, but you will have to have a clearance notch cut around the chain guard.

The biggest bummer about only having one beaded/finished end on the front fender is- the Steel Tankers usually have both front ends exposed. Where the '72's have a rubber mud flap on the rear of the fronts to hide that somewhat.
Well....I HAVE seen rubber mud guards on the front of a Steel Tanker before, so I don't think I'll be beaten for having one. Hey !! Louk has one, that's cool, if Louk has one it's good enough for me.
(Note: Rubber flaps go on the outside of the fender, not the inside) :-)    

These R.E. alloy fenders come plenty long, so you'll have surplus to play and experiment with.
I've cut and bent (180 fold over) a small section to determine if they're made of a soft enough alloy to play with...and they are, which is great. Otherwise if they were too hard of an alloy, it would crack.
...and the fenders come unpolished, so they could use abit of polish work, not alot, should'nt be another big expense.

Gosh...I hope this bit of research has done some of us some good. I know I'm glad to be getting somewhere on this.
 I'll keep plugging away at trying to redo the ends on a more-perfect radius for the future. I took them to one guy who is a super high end automobile restorer, and got a quote of about $400 to redo the ends. Ah, Nah...I think I'll pass on that and fiqure it out for myself.

There were a couple guys that asked me about these, and said they did'nt want to mess with any more than just drilling and bolting on. I'd be happy to help those few, but I should first complete the installation of a set on my '70 Sixday. Then I'll have the ability to send some pictures and you can get a look at the finished product in place.

Have a good day.
BobW

firstturn

Ron Carbaugh

Lew Mayer

Rob,
how would they look on a Mudlark?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

rob w

How-do you-do Lew,

I really think you'd like them, and they don't cost alot. They're universal in design with a constant radius end to end. Unless the bike takes a specially shaped fender, I'd say the odds are good you'll get them to fit.
Mudlark front high, or Mudlark front low  ?
 _ _

Thanks Ron

R/Bob

Lew Mayer

Lew Mayer

linglewn

I plan to order a set of the enfield fenders for a 72 Jackpiner that I am building. The current enfield on-line store only lists a 19x5 rear fender. Do you know if the original catalogue listing for 18 or 19 x 5 was two different sizes or one-size-fits-all? Thanks.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

rob w

Nelson,

The catalog is somewhat confusing when it says specify size on the rear fender, but actually it is a uni-fit 18/19" (one and the same).
They do have a 5 1/2" wide rear, but you want to get the 5" wide model. And of course, specify 21 x 4 for the front.
 There's a little discount in price when you buy the set together, under Pt.# Z90602. That's what I did.
 For the price, my opinion of them was very positive. But please let us know what you think of them after they're installed.

Bob

linglewn

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I plan to order the pair. I appreciate what you guys did in researching this.

Nelson
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

cardojr

Rob & Co.
If you got the fenders from Faribault,MN.,I can run over,take a look-see and maybe take some pics, as it's only 20 miles away. If the interest is there in Pentonia, I may talk to him about buying a few sets if we can get good pricing. Probably won't make it down this weekend (blizzard clean-up at the farm), but will be down there next weekend "wal-marting" with the kids.
Rob Card

rob w

Hello Rob,

Yep that's where they come out of. They're made by Hitchcock in the U.K., but distributed from Royal Enfield in MN..
I should have a picture coming soon (maybe this weekend) with them installed on a '70 Steel tanker. I just wanted to paint all my number plates yellow first, and I've been slack'n off hoping for some warmth to arrive.
Good to hear from you again.
Have you ever been to that place in Jordan, MN. called Sport Wheels? Looks like an enormous salvage.

BobW

Kip Kern

The same fenders, I think, are available through Walridge Mtrs, Canada,  I just picked up 15 rears and 5 fronts.  21" fronts, 18/19" rears.

cardojr

Hey Bob-I'll scope out sport wheels as sooon as the weather breaks.
They've got some neat stuff if you know what you're looking for-otherwise it's a little overwhelming. I loaded up on husky stuff last year and will be negotiating some tyran/wassell stuff this spring.I bought my 72 berkie and my tyran at auction there a few years ago for a song. I'll find out if there's an auction this year.
Rob

linglewn

I have been out of town and only returned this evening. The two fenders had been delivered from Clasic Motorcycles in Faribault, MN. I was pleased with the quick service, but when I opened the box I have a concern. It appears that BOTH the front and rear are 21". I will measure tomorrow and call them on Monday. Otherwise, they look pretty good.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

linglewn

Upon further review the rear is the proper size. I matches the curvature of the old Preston Petty that was on the bike very closely. As pointed out by others, the front is about 2 inches too long, and the rear about 19 inches longer than the PP.

Nelson
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

linglewn

I have been out of town and only returned this evening. The two fenders had been delivered from Clasic Motorcycles in Faribault, MN. I was pleased with the quick service, but when I opened the box I have a concern. It appears that BOTH the front and rear are 21". I will measure tomorrow and call them on Monday. Otherwise, they look pretty good.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125