It’s a Small, Small World!

Started by KJDonovan, February 18, 2006, 05:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

I have a rather amusing story I figured I would share with my fellow Poggers.

As a rule every morning while having coffee I check this message board to follow up on my posts, read other posts to see if I can be any assistance and to look for additional bikes.  Well for the past year I have been looking for a Six Day for my better half, my Jack Piner is almost done and we are in need of something comparable for her.  Well last Sunday morning was no exception, and in the for sale forum I noticed a post from "pauly" looking to sell a 72 Six Day.  So I fired off a quick email to "pauly" asking him if he had any photos of the bike and where he was located.  I got message back stating he was in Rhode Island (as I am) and was thrilled, this was the first time I have found anything local to check out.  So I sent him another email late Sunday asking him to give me a call so we could discuss the details.  Pauly left me a message Monday afternoon, and I called him back, We talked about the bike for a while and then he says to me "This is quite a coincidence that someone named Kevin Donovan is interested in this bike.  I have a 2nd cousin with the same name that I have not seen in about 20 years."  I told Pauly that it was the ultimate coincidence because I am that second cousin.  When I was very young I can remember when he was on Enduro runs he would sometimes stop by the house for a minute and say hi to my Mom (his first cousin). At the time I don't recall what he was running but I am pretty sure it was a Greeves or a Penton.  Anyway, to make a long story short I went to Pauly's house this morning and finalized the deal on the new bike.  Debbie and I just got back in the house from her first run a Penton, and even though it's only 18 degrees outside she is hooked!  She is now the proud owner of a nearly original 72 Six Day that runs like a champ.  15 minutes on a Penton and she is already planning her vacation to coincide with Vintage Days this coming July ....Priceless!  Just one side note, my cousin Pauly has already passed the big 60 and is still racing every weekend and from the look of herd of trophys in his shop must be one dam good rider!

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Jeff D

Kevin,
Former Penton/KTM ISDT rider Kevin Lavoie lives near you over in Chepachet, RI.  Back in the early 70s he and Max Markowitz (who also lives nearby) tore up the NETRA Junior Enduro circuit on OSSAs.  Both went on to ride for the OSSA factory and then Kevin was on big bore Katooms at the Six Days.  Look him up, he's a quality guy. I think his family runs a restaurant over there someplace.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

KJDonovan

Thanks for the info Jeff, I'll do that.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day