When did it change?

Started by cubfan1968, March 16, 2006, 11:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

Last Saturday while son and I were trail riding, I took notice of the other riders. The thing I noticed the most was almost everyone was wearing a full set of riding gear, helmet,leathers, mx boots, gloves and pads. The amount of dollars everyone was wearing probably cost more than my Penton cost new. While I agree you must wear a helmet. I wonder if the sport is pricing itself out of existance. When I got into motorcycles in the early 70's, you could go out buy a new enduro for $800 and a helmet for $25 put on your hunting boots and you were ready to go trailing. I know safety is paramount, but I wonder if we are over doing it. Now I'm not talking competition here I'm talking about trail riding. Back when, in these very same trails I was riding Saturday, there would be groups of teenage types riding, racing around and having a good old time. These groups are non existant today everything is over done too expensive for a young man making $6.00 per hour. These guys making the 6 bucks an hour are the future of the sport. Go to the shops looks whats on the floor alot more street bikes than dirt bikes.

Years ago there was and ad in one of the cycle magazines for a company called Wheels of Man (I hope I didn't botch the name). In this ad several well dressed dirt bikers with state of the art equipment were looking down their noses at a fellow dirt rider   dressed in overalls and rolling his older model bike up a 2 x 10 into the back of his pickup. The next month in the readers respond column folks blasted the ad for their pompous attitude towards a fellow dirt biker. I wonder if today most readers of the ad would agree with the well dressed group. Look at Hondas "family" ads in the magazines everyone fully dressed with all new equipment.

When did things change that it became necessary to be fully equipped and spend big dollars in order to participate in the sport?

Heck were worried about keepng the Penton name alive there might come a day when our children might be trying to keep dirt biking itself alive.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

rd400pi

Rod,
  Maybe those trail riders didn't want to get banged up like we all did (many times).  Yeah it's pricey but, at least they are out there giving it a shot.  Getting banged up the first or second time out for a newby might just turn them away.  Didn't seem to bother me too much back then but, I wasn't always the fastest learner either.;)

Mike H.
  [email protected]

t20sl

Rob: I started riding in 1966.  A full set of gear was used, which included the latest Bell 1/2 helmet, Levi jacket, linemans boots, and a good pair of leather gloves.  Doesn't sound like much now but in the day it was the equivalent of what you see today for protection.  As I remember the lineman's full lace up boots were around $40 bucks from J.C. Penny.  Adding for inflation that would be around $275 in today's dollars.  At a Honda dealership today you can walk in a buy a nice full face Vega helmet for $79, excellent  boots for $179, gloves $19, riding pants $90, jacket $125 and shoulder/chest protector for $59. I am sure these can be had at discount wholesales for even less.  However, the rider is protected to a much larger degree than we ever were back in the day.  Isn't progree great!  The motorcycle prices have increased to even a greater degree but used bikes are out there at bargain prices as was my Triumph 1961 cub that cost me $25 in a basket in 1966.  (Still have it).
I don't think safety can ever be over done.  I am thinking of getting a spinal protection device currently.  If this stuff was available in the 1960's we would have been wearing it as probably you would have too.  We can thank John Penton, Torsten Halman, Malcolm Smith, Preston Petty and others for bring many of these items to market.  I am sure you are aware that the reason you see all of those family types wearing all of that gear in the adds is no company is going to show riders in t shirts and flip flops for the usual legal ramifications.
I totaly agree it is an expensive sport.  But it always was.  a 1973 Honda Elsinore was in the neighborhood of $1100.  Now they are $5800.
But my 1971 chevy Nova new was $3600.  What is a fully equipped car toady going to run today? $20-25k.  
I know a friend who has had over $1,300,000 in medical and doctors bills in less than a year from a motorcycle accident.  His only injury was a badly damaged right leg.  It was on a street bike and the accident happened at under 20MPH.  My point is just because somebody is not racing doesn't mean you shouldn't dress for the crash.  Had he had a leather riding suit with body armour, who knows?
Personally, I feel dirt bikes have declined due to the increase in the ATV market.  At the Honda dealership I work at the ATV market is alomost 1/2 of total business!  Most seriuos injury I ever received was "play riding" not racing.  When you race your mind is more focused.  Just my opinion, Ted

Kip Kern

Kinda funny you brought this up as I was thinking the same thing.  I have a modern bike and vintage bikes, don't ride fast enough to hurt anyone or anything so I kinda went back to the old days.  I wear Redwing lace up work boots, a nice pair of Mechanics Wear work gloves, and a FF Arai helmet.  Normal jeans, "T" shirt, MX socks(sometimes a Belstaff jacket) and thats about it.  I can't wear the modern MX boots as I can't feel the shifter, don't like all the flashy colors, guess I am getting old! To each his own though;)  Heck, I even put a Michelin TT trials tire on the back of my 200 KTM so I don't tear up the earth so much:)

tofriedel

Yes, times have changed.  I think all of the MC manufacturers have taken a page out of Harley Davidson's marketing book.  They make more money on the accessories than they do on the bikes.

As for safety issues, they are a major concern and I am for avoiding any personal injuries, but I think we have gone a bit overboard with safety, due primarily with the media shoving it down our throats on a regular basis.  Not to mention the effect that lawsuits and lawyers have had on any personal injury.

Like Kip I still ride trails with work boots, Levi's, Belstaff, helmet, goggles and gloves, but I am not racing or trying to beat my riding buds.  Just enjoying the ride.  My grand kids are not allowed to startup a bike unless they are dressed with the minimum gear that I wear.

Tony
Tony

socalmx

I love to look the part when I race. I was lucky to find a new-old stock pair of green leather pants, Hi Point boots, Metro Penton jersey, and period gloves that I wear in every race. But....underneath the jersey is a Fox Chest/Back protector and on the head is a top of the line kevlar/fiberglass/carbon fiber helmet. Point I am making is that modern equipment offers much better protection and should be taken advantage of. I think that it is great that even when trail riding, kids are wear full gear.

Rocket

Personally I will not ride without the riding boots, chest protector, pants with knee cups, full-face helmet, goggles and gloves.  I have been riding/racing for 36 years and I feel the protective gear has given me the opportunity to keep riding longer without a terribly serious injury.
I have had my leg broken twice and smashed collarbone once along with the broken fingers and toes that seemed to be normal when I started.  Bark busters was a big plus in stopping the finger injuries and the riding boots deffinately helped prevent the foot injuries.  One trip to the Emergency room will pay for a lot of gear!
Rocket

thrownchain

Alot of the riding gear now,although it's for protection, is also a status symbol. Everybody wants to dress like Jeremy, or Ricky, or Bubba, or any great number of riders made famous in alot of extreme vidoes. Is it a good thing? In terms of protection.. YES! With the jumps and stunts they are doing now, protection is a good thing. Remember, back in the day triple jumps weren't a common thing. Now they are and people still get seriously injured even with the gear. Wear what you're comfortable in, some injuries are unavoidable anyway. Be safe, and ride to your hearts content.[^]

Randy Kirkbride

I agree with wearing all the gear while trailriding.  I've had a lot more injuries trailriding than racing. You know... you're riding with some buddies, and you say "watch this". The next thing you know, you're laying on your back gasping for air. Even starting a bike... I broke my toe last year by kickstarting a bike with my tennis shoes on. Next time I'll put on my boots first. At 57, it takes a lot longer to heal up.

Big Mac

All good points...One big reason I got into vintage bikes and vintage racing was that the "Keeping up with the Jones's" attitude seems to be minimal, racing is cheap, and an investment in a bike can last for years and years instead of one or two seasons (plus the mechanically enlightened and down-to-earth bretheren). The Follow-the-leader types who now think they all need the latest 4-stroke technology and high-zoot gear to have fun or go fast make me laugh. Just look at what Jeff Fredette proves on his air-cooled KDX at every ISDT Reunion Ride.

I used to trailride pretty hard with just a helmet, jeans and workboots. But an experienced rider/competitor I met up with asked me what my insurance co-pay would be if I had to make a run to the Emergency Room--$500-- then pointed out that I'd be better off to spend that much on good protection. Good point, I thought.

But the relative cost really is a lot less for this and most sports today than it was 35 years ago, no matter how much we like to complain. I have a ton of late '60s and early '70s magazines with ads for bikes, gear, parts, clothing, lubes, etc and the comparison of early-70s $'s to today's $'s works out to 5:1. Seems impossible, but do the math and you'll see that's pretty close across the boards.

I think the reason you see color-coordinated, full geared trailriders so much now it because you can outfit a rider in lower-priced full protection for $350-$400, which works out to us spending about $75 back in the day...Just about enough for very cheap helmet, work boots and a sweatshirt. Relatively speaking, it's cheaper now to look the part. Still looks pretty silly to me though, so I mismatch what I have and wear a sweatshirt on top. At least the neon pink and baby blue gear and white fancy-boy boots combination is good and dead.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Steve Minor

It's been said before...if you have a $25 head, buy a $25 helmet.
Steve Minor

Mick Milakovic

I agree with wearing as much protection as you feel comfortable with.  I remember watching the trials event at Mid Ohio last year with Dennis Jones and lots of gus were wearing just boots, jeans, and open face helmets.  I commented that trials looked like a lot of fun with less chance of serious injury.  Dennis replied that his worst injuries came from trials and not motocross!  Seems that when you're going slow, trying to negotiate a 90 degree turn over a creek and then you make a mistake and fall 6-8 feet straight down it's gonna hurt!  [B)]

On another thought, buy close-out gear from the warehouses and you can get pants, jersey, and gloves for $65.  That's a big savings.  Ride on! [8D]

Mick

OUCWBOY

Steve,
Things have changed on the $25 helmet saying. I remember in my old Penton dealer a sign saying "If you have a $5 head, wear a $5 helmet".
Underneath that sign was another of my favorite signs.
"If you want fresh new oats, you must pay the price, but, if you want oats that's already been through the horse, that's a little cheaper".

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Donny,
  Might I know that old Penton Dealer?[:p]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Ron,
I am sure you do. I'll even bet that you bought a Penton from him!!!
He was and still is my Hero!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR