'72 Mudlark...what to do?

Started by crowbar37, March 21, 2006, 10:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbar37

Looking for advice.
  Around 1975 my Dad purchased a '72 Penton Trials bike, hoping Mom would join us on easy trail rides, well, that dog didn't hunt so it's set idle most of the years since.  On three occasions I've gotten it out, fired it up and rode around the yard for a few days/weeks, got bored and back to the shed it went.
  Dad and I agree that it's a work of art but we also agree that what some of you guys are doing to preserve old Pentons and the good-old-days is great.  Dad had three Pentons during his bike racing years and loved them (except the Bing).
  We're wondering if it needs a new home.  We still have a little of everything we've raced, boat, TQ midget, 170 inch 6cyl Ford, '76 IT400...anyway, shed space isn't an issue, not rich or poor...just thinking out loud, sort of.
  About the bike;
  My 13-year-old son out grew his little 80 so we headed to the shed a few weeks ago and drug Dad's IT400, my old '83 IT490 and hey, let's take that Penton to the shop too.
  Last time it had seen the light of day was August, 1986.  We drained the funky gas, removed the the float bowl and rinsed with carb cleaner, changed transmision oil, new gas, looked at the plug, primed the Amal and kicked.  Fired first kick, started second.
  Considering the bike's age it's in great shape.  The back fender has vibrated into two pieces, haven't found the little piece yet.  The chain guard has vibrated one of the mounting tabs off, I have the main piece, still looking for the little tab.  The ignition was replaced around 1980 with a Spanish Motoplat by our local Yamaha mechanic, don't think that's original, is it?  The skid-plate is   quite dented, in highschool I was determined to ride over my old Valiant.[8]
  The rest is original.  The tires are holding air, so far.  All the decals are intact.  The grips are "Wassell", levers are chromed steel, chain says "England".  The engine has not been apart since Dad bought it.  Numbers on engine cover are 125 1/6 B.  Frame serial number is W 608 S.T.  In 1986 I spent a few evenings with some polish and made it shine, wow, what it lacks in function it makes up for in beauty.  I wonder if an 11 tooth countershaft sprocket would give it a little more life?  It has a 13T with 64T on the wheel.
  Sorry to babble on, get more excited about old iron then the new, idiot-proof bikes.
  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Sell?  Keep?  Ride it like the YZ's I had in younger (stupider) days?
  Thanks for your time and consideration, JT

Rocket

Curious on what you would want for this and where are you located.
Very nice story, enjoyed reading it.
Rocket

crowbar37

Sorry, should have mentioned, we're in Salina, Kansas.  No idea what it'd take to get Dad to let it go, we just thought we'd throw the ideas out and see what's suggested.  If it's just a $1000 bike, we won't bother selling.  Any idea what it'd be worth?  
Thanks, JT

Rocket

crowbar37
I really don't have an idea of the value of the Mudlark, but I am sure someone will.  
Rocket

firstturn

JT,
  Based on the repairs needed and that you stated that if it was a $1000.00 bike you would keep it.  I would keep it.  Since I haven't seen any pictures of it I wouldn't offer you $1000.00 because I would have to add on shipping.  You ask and these are just my thoughts.  But it sounds like you enjoy these bikes so I would ride it..........[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

crowbar37

The "keep it" idea suits me well.  I feel like a guy who finds out his Grandpa's Civil War medals are worth more then his house, should sell, but sentiment gets in the way.
How about changing the countershaft sprocket?  Any ideas on making it preform better?  Trials has alway interested me, now that I'm in my 40's slower looks even better.
Thanks, JT

firstturn

JT,
  I normally don't like the small countershaft spockets since the chain has to make a 180 degrees turn and it is harder (wear wise) on the smaller the sprocket.  I would try to go up on the rear sprocket.  But maybe we can get Dennis Jones to kick in here since he is the resident expert on the great little machines.  Also for sprockets you might look under supplier and give Al Buehner for any of your parts needs.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Crowbar,
Trials is slower but it is not easy, I rode my first trials event last summer and had a blast but I was sore. Now I ride two classes in Motocross and the tracks can get tough but I think that I was just as tired and for sure and a whole lot more sore after the trials event. I thought I would ride a few trials because it would help me with bike handling and balance. so far I think that is true but it is not a sport for the arm chair rider. I would have to say that it was a lot of fun:D

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Dennis Jones

JT, I know a little about these bikes.Yours sounds like a pretty complete original bike. The 6B motor, Motoplat ignition, and Amal carb is how this bike would have left England. Although rare, less than 1000 ever made and I have not saw a serial # higher than 700's, they do not bring a lot of money. $1500 can buy a pretty good rider. I have picked up 2 that run in the last 4 months for less than $700 each.
If your 64 rear sprocket is good, a 12 front would be just right, an 11 would be to low even for trials. For trials work you will want to tune for a crisp bottom end. The bikes are a little underpowered for tials but they turn and handle great. Unless you have a size 13 foot SHORTEN the brake pedal. As it is will put you on your head in hurry.
Keep or sell? If it is an heirloom keep it. If it is just in the way there are guys in this group who can restore it to better than new, and guys who would put it to use in competition.
Isn't it cool to start something up that has set for 10 years?
Thanks for posting.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

thrownchain

If you can afford to keep it, do so. If your going to ride it have fun, but don't beat it like a YZ.

Lew Mayer

Hey Dr. Wassell. Have you ever run one of those with an Amal? How do they run with one? I happen to have an Amal for one on the shelf.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

crowbar37

OK, you guys got me.  There's a Trials event within 100 miles on April, 2.  Where are my boots....?
Any recomendations on soft tires?  The old Sachs has always seemed a little rich, should I lower the needle? We're around 1800ft elevation.  Never had an Amal apart, similar to a Mikuni?  Lost the Sachs book.  Where's my helmet?  Oh, crud, trailer has a flat...April 2nd...maybe I should act my age...
What pitch is the chain?  We have several sizes at work.  I was afraid this would happen when we started dragging the bikes out of the shed.  I'll be ordering sprockets tonight, where's a good place to get tires?
You guys have been a great help.  I'll be joining POG soon.
Thanks, JT

Dennis Jones

JT, Michelins :D 4# rear 6# front

Lew, I had one on a bike I rode a lot. I put all new parts in it and it worked fine. That bike had a six B motor and that required a whole different riding style.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

crowbar37

Sprockets and a reproduction owners manual on order from Al B., Michelins on order.  Swapped a plastic fender on tonight rather then the original per Al's suggestion this morning.  Should I replace the all original handle bar, grip, lever, perch, throttle assembly with misc. stuff to avoid damaging all those pretty original pieces?  Are the clutches on these Sachs' normally heavy to opperate?  Had my son on it tonight and it was a chore for him.  Will work on brakes, including the rear brake lever, tomorrow.  This is the first message board I've used and am enjoying tremendously.  Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.
JT

Dennis Jones

All right! Another Wassell back in action. It sounds like you are really going to ride this thing so there are a few improvements you can do. Matt at Speed and Sport is your connection for these parts. Get an Amal trials throttle with a cable for a TY 175. A set of Amal levers and perchs will improve feel and keep you from cutting your fingers off with the sharp back of the stockers. Gonelli (sp) plastic trials fenders fit real nice and you can relocate the front to a low fender with a set of Sammy Miller mounts for an Ossa trials.
Lew Mayer is also a good source of info for Penton trials bikes.
FEET UP!

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones