AHRMA mx in Jefferson TX

Started by lksseven, April 01, 2006, 10:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

In retrospect, I wish Tom had stayed and blown away all the PV bikes the next day on his Classic 125 Penton!!!! I'm sure we could have figured out at least 3 different classes for him to dominate!!!!

Teddy

firstturn

Teddy,
  Thanks for having YOUR SPECIAL TOOLS and for loaning them to Tom and I.  Fun day and Great Birthday gift for me.  I just visited with an ole Friend from Team Honda and he still can't believe that there is or was a bike built that would stay under Benolkin for six races[:p].  Nothing like Vintage.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

pketchum

Teddy,

Did you outfit the Six-Day that Tom rode with one of your Lectron's?  Sure wish I could have been there to see any ONE of those six races.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

tlanders

No Lectrons on vintage bikes, illegal for AHRMA. But on Post Vintage bikes they are legal, that is why I have/am converting all four of my PV Pentons/KTMs to Lectrons. On my 1984 MXC 120 KTM the conversion took less than an hour. Bolt on the Lectron and go fast - no adjustments at all to the standard settings. At Texas, Larry Shope was riding the same bike in the cross country and he asked me afterwards if I had to feather the clutch on the steep uphill as he did. I said no, the Lectron just pulled the hill.

The second conversion is on my 1980 MC80 400 which was ported to the moon by J.P. Morgen and has a 6 pedal Yamaha reed on it. I converted it before from Bing to Mikuni. It took me 2 or 3 Saturdays worth of jetting work to get it right. With no quidelines to start from with a modified engine/pipe combination, it takes a long time to jet a Mikuni or Bing. First the idle jet, then the main, then the needle jet, then the needle itself, then the height of the needle, then blah, blah, blah. I bolted the Lectron on last Sunday afternoon with what I thought would be the best metering rod set at standard length and the bike wouldn't idle, it sped up really high rpm as if you had an air leak and was way too lean. I rotated the carb, pulled out the slide, screwed the metering rod in one full turn to make the idle richer and put it back together again. This time it would idle, but when you let the gas off, it took a long time to reduce the revs to the idle. I pulled the slide again and turned the metering rod in another full turn. Normally you don't make such drastic changes, just 1/4 turn at a time. This time it idles, reduces rpm quickly, has great power and I had a ball roaring around the farm for a while. Let's see, it took about 1.5 hours to dial it in instead of 3 days. Such a carb already!!!!

The third conversion was on my 1981 495 bad boy. I couldn't get it started with the Bing, had worked on the ignition, hadn't checked compression yet, but believed a Lectron would make it go. At 9:00PM Sunday I bolted it on, but couldn't start it. Need to look elsewhere to find out why it won't start and don't have the time for it right now since I am not racing it.

The fourth conversion is on my 1978 MC5 250. I haven't gotten to it yet. This bike was incredible fast before, I won an AHRMA national championship on it. I can't wait to see what the Lectron will do for it.

We shouldn't even be thinking about putting a Lectron on a Benolkin bike, we should be considering a rag in the existing carburetor instead to make it fair for the other riders!!!

Teddy