Mid-Ohio 2006

Started by SoCal996, April 04, 2006, 09:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal996

Hello All,

A few years ago I inquired about where to fly into and where to stay when attending the Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio. Well, at my age the memory isn't so good. Anyway, coming from So. Cal. would it be best to fly into Columbus? Where is the best place to find accommodations fairly close to the track?

Thanking you all in advance,
Brian [8D]

Rain Man

Hey Brian, try map quest, they may be able to direct you to some descent accomadations. Also I think if you put in Mid Ohio for a search, the web page will also list some real close by accomadations. As far as airports, I dunno, we fly into lakes up here in maine [8D]   I think theres a few members left in Ohio that may be able to advise... gentlemen?

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

PJM

Brian,

Both Columbus and Cleveland are good options for airports depending upon which is more convienient for you to get to.  

As for hotels, I searched expedia.com for Mansfield, Ohio and availablility is limited since many hotels in the area are already sold out.  The Amerihost in Mansfield has rooms for $130 - 150, but a 20 minute drive to Ashland will get you a room at the Amerihost for $80.  Due to limited hotel availability last year, we stayed at the Amerihost in Ashland, which was definitely nice and clean. I called them directly and got AAA rates for around $55 when the asking rate was $80 then.  

To get good rates and availability you need to reserve well in advance and usually before Christmas.

Good luck,
Pat
Pat Mickevicius

jj

Brian,

Columbus airport is about 60 miles away and Cleveland is about 90.
Most of the drive from both is on major interstate. There is another airport about 60 miles away in Akron/Canton that will work and sometimes offers the best fares.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

SoCal996

Thanks to all that replied, sounds like I had better make plans.

Brian

rich allison

Air Tran has flights out of LA to Akron Canton pretty cheap. If you can't find anything in Mansfield or Lexington try Ashland, Mt. Vernon, Mt. Gilead. If you can't find something there e-mail me or call my cell 330-231-7836 I live about 30 miles from Mid Ohio I might be able to find you something.    Rich

Rich Allison
Rich

Lew Mayer

Rooms are getting tough to find out there. Rich,what hotels are down at Mt Gilead exit? I can't recall but I know there are a few down there.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

SoCal996

Thanks again. I've booked the flight into Columbus and have a reservation in Amherst, hope its not too far from the track. I'm okay with an hour or less drive. Hope to meet a lot of the Penton group. Oh, can't wait for the swapmeet!

Brian :)

rich allison

Amherst is real close to Cleveland Hopkins Airport, probably 11/2 or more hours away. Will check on Mt.Gilead exit tomorrow not down that way much. Have a couple motels here in Millersburg about 30-35 miles away.   Rich

Rich Allison
Rich

chicagojerry

amherst is probably close to an hour and a half drive. if you would like to camp i could probably hook you up with something to stay in at the track. they have good shower facilites there. :)    chijer

socalmx

Great, another west coaster showing up. This will be my first event and with the help of POGers, I was able to arrange affordable transportation for my bike. I am lucky that I can fly into Chicago on the company dime then hook up with a friend who is drving to the event to race his Bultaco Sherpa S 125. Rooms are getting tight but the Amerihost in Ashland was the hot deal at 80 bucks or so a night. Looking forward to meeting all and maybe score a few neat parts in the process. Life is good.....