Mettco Racing

Started by OUCWBOY, August 18, 2001, 04:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

Anyone here recall the Mettco Racing Team in So Cal in or about 1973? I'm getting a lot of questions about those bikes. They were RED tanked 125's that seem to be the fastest 125's in the West. Could someone point me in the right direction for the answers.
Thanks all

Edited by - oucwboy on 08/18/2001  04:32:10 AM
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dave Hefterich

Is that the team that was running "Pendas"? They were Pentons with Honda CR125 engines. I remember seeing them at Saddleback Carlsbad and The Dunes at CMC races. I think I remember a Tim Lunde on that team. I'll try to think of more.

Edited by - dave hefterich on 08/19/2001  03:16:24 AM

OUCWBOY

Not really sure, but it could be. I've had lots of questions about my Red and White 125 wanting to know if it was a Mettco.  I'm trying to gather some information on the Mettco machines.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

I had a Berkshire that was done by Mettco.  They did Pentons that were ported, piped, and shocks worked on.  I believe they were all red and white regardless of size.  There were a couple for sale a few months ago, in the Pacific Northwest I think, but they were high.  I did not see them only heard from a DKW customer.  The Mettco Berkshire I had back in The Day was exceptionally fast but came to me in the twilight of the Sachs motor's career.  The little Jap bikes were coming of age in the small bore classes and the small European motorcycle went the way of the dinosaurs until now.  Vintage has brought them alive again and in modern bikes KTM and Husqvarna 125's scored some top Supercross placings this season.  A day in the sun again.  Ain't life grand?

Dano

I remember the Mettco Pentons very well.They were very fast in so,cal. in the eary 70s.They won all the time at Ascot,Irwindale,Saddleback,ect.The 2 riders that i recall the most were Chuck Bower and Bruce Mcdougle.Am not sure,but I think Danny Laporte may have ridden for them also.The Penda was an early Don Emler creation in his early FMF days.He was a Penton dealer before he started FMF.He loved the handling of the Pentons,but didnt care much for the Saches engines.Before the Honada cr came out,he raced a Penton with a Zundapp engine,called the Pendapp.It was ridden by Billy Payne and it smoked.I think that bike would make a KILLER vintage racer!There is a great article in this months Racer X mag. on Emler,and he talks about his Penton roots.
 Cheers,Dano

OUCWBOY

Dano, Thanks for the info. I'm on my way out now to find the Racer X mag.
Thanks again.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Steve Talbott

I've got an original mettco 175 tank that is blue, original Penton colors. I don't know if all the bikes were Red/White. At any rate the tank is in good shape. 80.00 will take her home. [email protected]    Thanks Steve

Steve Talbott
Steve Talbott