What's the Latest word on tank repair?

Started by wfopete, April 12, 2006, 11:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfopete

Yup,

The Jackpiner has got a cracked tank just before the April fun. I read the post about the Kreme and Caswells products used for fiberglass tank repairs. Caswells sounds good but how are the repairs holding up.  I don't want to use something and find out something turning to jelly inside the tank months after the repair!

Is there something better out now?

Pete Petrick POC Member #640

'01 KTM EXC 520, '74 YZ 250, '86 Honda XR 250, '71 Hodaka 100, '74 SUZUKI TM 400, '73 Penton Jackpiner
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Dennis D

I have used the Caswell's in three Ossa tanks and they
seem to be holding up well. Dennis D

tlanders

One of the gas petcocks on my Piner started leaking. I took off the tank to fix it and heard a rattling sound. When I turned the tank over to get all the gas out, tons of thin clear plastic "stuff" came out in small sheets, obviously some kind of lining in the tank had failed. I cleaned it out the best I could, replaced the petcock, and filled it with gas. No leaks so far. I quess someone added the lining to add some weight to the Piner - it's just too fast as stock!!!

Teddy

wfopete

Is this the stuff??????

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Pete Petrick

'01 KTM EXC 520, '74 YZ 250, '86 Honda XR 250, '71 Hodaka 100, '74 SUZUKI TM 400, '73 Penton Jackpiner
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Keithuu

That's the stuff. I used it on my '75 with (apparent) good results. A very nice, uniform, thick coating. The Bultaco boys at Hugh's have been using it for years to "beef up" old glass tanks and, reportedly, have had no negative feedback when applied properly.

Hugh's also has a pretty good price on it and, if used right, one kit will do two tanks of up to 3 gallons, if memory serves.

I used it in cool weather so set up time was extended but it turned out "harder than the times of '29", as the old saying goes.[^]

Keithuu
Keithuu