Home Page photo

Started by Paul Danik, May 15, 2006, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Can anyone tell us about this event and maybe give us some info on this fine looking Penton?

http://www.pentonusa.org/archive/homepage/default_061006.htm

Somebody must have had a bit of "pull" to be allowed to display these machines on this golf course.  Better not be any leakers in the bunch!

Thanks
Paul

firstturn

I am not sure of who owns the Penton, but here is the info on the great event.

HALF MOON BAY, Calif. - April 17, 2006 - The rugged Pacific coast and manicured lawns of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay serve as the site for Legend of the Motorcycle: International Concours d'Elegance™, the world's first concours d'elegance exclusively for motorcycles, Saturday, May 6. Covering nearly a century of motorcycling history — from the late 1800s to the 1970s — Legend of the Motorcycle showcases and judges nearly 200 of the finest examples of vintage motorcycles from around the world. This first annual charitable event heralds a new forum for motorcycling by celebrating and honoring its past and future on a level only previously associated with fine automobiles.

Similar to an outdoor museum exhibit, the world's finest motorcycles are displayed and judged by an international panel of experts, including Bud Ekins and Oriol Bulto. Exclusive to this premiere event is the Steve McQueen™ Award, selected by a panel of celebrities, and the Industry Award, judged by a panel of motorcycle manufacturer executives, and the featured marques Brough Superior and Crocker, of which will be assembled the largest number of both in U.S. history.

Event sponsors include Bentley Motors, Bonhams & Butterfields, Cartier, FedEx Custom Critical, Forbes, Kiehl's Since 1851, Meguiar's, Men's Vogue and many more. A portion of the proceeds from Legend of the Motorcycle, including an auction featuring the Triumph motorcycle from Tom Cruise's upcoming movie Mission Impossible III, benefits Special Olympics, Roots Initiative and Boys & Girls Clubs of America.

"Legend of the Motorcycle is a celebration of the art of motorcycling. It pays homage to the rich heritage and enormous influence the motorcycle has had on popular culture," says co-founder Jared Zaugg, president of Legend of the Motorcycle, Inc. "This event has received global interest and the collaboration has been remarkable. The extraordinary advisory board includes the curator of the Guggenheim Museum's record-breaking exhibit 'Art of the Motorcycle,' the Chief Judge of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and the Chief Judge of the Louis Vuitton Classic."

In addition to the concours itself and the resulting afternoon awards ceremony, the event features the Field of Fame™, a display of motorcycles owned by past celebrities such as Elvis Presley and Steve McQueen, a display of pedigree racing bikes from the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, a display of new concept motorcycles, a chopper display from legends Jesse James and Arlen Ness, a raffle of motorcycles, motorcycle products and memorabilia for charity. Closing the momentous day is a special evening gala for sponsors, entrants, celebrities and judges, consisting of an invitation-only dinner and entertainment.

Sunday morning, May 7, concludes the affair with the Tour of Legends™, a 44-mile scenic motorcycle ride for concours entrants and VIPs, following a loop down along the Pacific ocean and back atop the adjacent Santa Cruz mountains, ending with a ocean-side brunch.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Beck

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Can anyone tell us about this event and maybe give us some info on this fine looking Penton?  

Somebody must have had a bit of "pull" to be allowed to display these machines on this golf course.  Better not be any leakers in the bunch!

Thanks
Paul

Beck

This bike is owned by Blair Beck - Beck's Vintage Bikes - Pacheco, CA
This event was an invitation only 1st year Legend of the Motorcyle Concours de Elegance for vintage bikes.  A real 1st class show.  This 1973 Penton Hare Scrambler actually won 1st place in its class at this show.  Pretty amazing given that there were many many special bikes at this show where the featured marques were Brough Superiors and Crockers.  There were over 200 bikes in the show!  PENTON RULES!

Beck

Forgot to mention - go to website for more photos legendofthemotorcycle.com and do a google for more photos. It was a great day for the Penton!

Paul Danik

Blair,

I was hoping my inquiry would prompt a reply from you.  Can you tell us more about the restoration and history of the Hare Scrambler?

Thanks
Paul

Knute

Good job Blair!  Tell us more about it.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

Beck

The Hare Scrambler is a low, low time bike I bought from a very nice man in CT. He had just bought a GT40 and his wife made him sell his Pentons. Pity. The bike was unrestored, but barely used. I did a frame off resto as it was too rough not to. Al Buehner was a big help as I'm sure you all know. His repro parts are the best. I spent a year and didn't skimp on anything. The motor only needed a new set of standard rings, seals and gaskets. Carb was sent to Bing Int'l for a complete rebuild. Motoplat still had a very healthy spark. Hubs and frame were powdercoated, cases painted. Rims had no dings, polished out well. New stainless spokes. My painter does mostly custom chopper work, this job was easy for him. I lined the tank with marine epoxy and it works well. Swingarm bearings were free and lubed when I got the bike. New ones were thankfully not needed. I must give much credit to Bill West of Vintage Works in Clovis, Ca. He does great work. He laced the wheels, had the frame powdercoated, etc (559 348 1316). Russ Powell in Novato, Ca. did the motor. He is great with the special needs of KTM motors (415 305 1946). I built the bike slowly and carefully, paying close attention to detail. If anything was even slightly supect, it was replaced. I can't deal with "its good enough" I was very surprised to get an award at the concours in Half Moon Bay. My ideal would be to have the Dean of Penton restorers, Kip Kern, take a close look at the bike and maybe say "Ya did okay". Then I would know all my efforts were worth it.........
Blair Beck

Kip Kern

Blair

From what I can tell from the photo, you did a heck of a job!;)