KTM clutch

Started by cag33, May 27, 2006, 04:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cag33

Would anyone know where to get a set of clutch plates for a 78 KTM 400?  I wonder how competitive this will be against the Maico's. Anyone going to Honey Lake?

Mike Lenz

If you never found a set of plates I can help you out. I did race a 78 400 for a year or two, some against other GP class Post Vintage bikes and did pretty well.  You can port the 400 to pretty much run with anything. What you are giving up is low end. You have to ride them like a 250. I got two holeshots one day with at least a couple M 490's on the line...at Red Bud with its fairly long start to boot. If you want some porting ideas I have written them down...and have done them to a 77 400 which runs pretty good.

Big Mac

cag33-- you must be out West? Bring the 400 up to Burnt Ridge WA for the 7/22 races, will be at least a few Penton/KTMs. I can bring plenty of old useable clutch plates out of 250 motors that should work for you too, freebies.

Tried to include Honey Lake om my schedule but pretty busy in early summer and a long expensive drive down from Portland, so passed. If you went, please provide the race report.

Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

cag33

The clutch seems to slip only a little.Could it be the synthetic oil? Honey lake was fun, one of the best tracks around. Finished second in the first moto and had back to back moto's for second round and they started without me but wound up fifth in the second moto. To bad because I felt really good. Sound like fun for the Post vintage stuff but I'm trying to get up there for Washougal the next weekend. I really only do the vintage stuff a couple times a year. Would love to have somebody that knows these bikes look at it. I cant seem to find any parts and I dont have a manual. Probably going to sell and buy a Honda. Chris  Anybody want a really clean KTM400?

Bob Seymour

Could you email me at [email protected] with some pics of your bike? I'd be interested in purchasing if the price can be worked out and we could get the bike to Mid-Ohio next month. Thanks, Bob

tomale

Cag, if the only reason you are selling the bike is because you think you can't find parts or because you think it would be too difficult to work on, please reconsider, On the Home page is a link to suppliers that can be of big help, Going from a KTM to a Honda is like going from a BMW to a Yugo. Everytime I take a very close look at a Jap bike I realize why I ride a KTM, The differences are stagering... The motor on a KTM is just about impossible to destroy, Case in pont, I have a 76 250 MC5 that I bought brand new, last year I finally replaced the rings, I have four full seasons of races on that bike, countless hours in the woods and still I have yet to do anything to the bottom end,It still has the stock clutch in it...Honda's are ok bikes but they are not nealy as reliable as the KTM, There is a really good reason you find so many KTM's in the woods, The just do not break.... I hear of honda riders breaking transmissions with regularity... If you are looking for help to fix that bike you have come to the right place.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

cag33

I don't think it's too hard to work on if I had a manual but I havent been able to find one. Someone mentioned porting to run with with the Maico's in the class but that is beyond my mechanical skills.I love the looks and the bike is really clean and runs great just not as fast as the competition. I love being the odd man out on a line of clones but starting from the back isnt always fun. Passing is roost isnt. Finding someone in No Ca who knows about these has been tough, and if they do they have not offered any help.

Big Mac

Cag, got a free manual copy for a '77 KTM 400 for you if you have an address. Virtually same as '78 except very minor items, bit larger fork diameter, etc. The 78 KTM will run with the best if you're wanting to continue riding something more bulle-proof and unique then a Honda or Yamaha. Replika Maschinen (spelling?) in the Bay area has done killer motor work on 400 motors and there are several championshps in AHRMA with the 400...look up JJP Morgen from around the Bay area...ask some AHRMA contacts. I think you'll find they will be happy to help.

I use Charlie Brown at //www.superiorsleeve.com for all my motor work, here in Portland OR. He's been making 2 strokes better for 30+ years, did a lot of porting andengine work for Carl Cranke back in the day, and knows KTMs well.  Don't give up on a KTM for a belly-button bike.  Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Rain Man

Thomas, your right on the money with the KTM motor !!  I bought a 96 360 exc as a 40th birthday present, and I've road it almost 50 miles every Sunday since 1996 !! (seasonably of course) I've gone through contless wheel sprockets, bearings, tires, cables, gallons of premix,
 rear fenders, headlights, front fork seals etc...  I havent changed the original piston, yet.[:0]  The bike starts 3rd kick every time, unless its under water or flooded and dropped in a mudhole (no mud holes in Maine).
  I cant kill this KTM

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

cag33

I would love to have a copy. Could also use the clutch plates. Anybody know where to get gaskets as in clutch cover, head and base. Also the kickstarter sticks at the bottom of the travel but will return with a little nudge, any ideas of the problem, possible fix? Chris Glanz P.O. Box 1611 Discovery Bay CA. 94514  Thanks Chris

Big Mac

Chris, I'll mail you a manual copy soon, will be away until 7/10. Al Buehner, Buehner Supply uner Parts on Home page has manuals for people who will pay for them, all the gaskets you will need for anythng as well as pretty well everything you can use to keep it running for years. Several other suppliers listed do to.

The kicker spring may be a bit weak or maybe the kicker is jamming against the frame when fully down? Most rub the frame slightly, and loosening, then re-tightening a bit further out on the shaft wll cure that. Otherwise, need to split cases to replace the spring, which you won't want to tackle until you've at least read a manual. Then it's easy.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR