Bike identification help

Started by jwbike962, June 18, 2006, 09:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwbike962

Hi guys,

Nice web site.  I'm new here but lots of info in your posts.

My son (14 years old) bought a bike recently.  The guy told him it only had a blown head gasket.  I took a look and the crank turns, piston goes up and down, clutch turns, countershaft sprocket is free, ...
Kickstarter goes down comes up does not engage anything...same with shifter.
Maybe clutch is stuck on?? stuck between gears?? any ideas??

Early research from another site says it is a 400  1976 early 1977?  5 spd - 6 spd?  Enduro model? Anyone got a pic of what side panels looked like.

If picture would help I could email you one couldn't figure out how to post it.

Frame:  54 603 89131      Engine  6 - 2800
Orange tank with L white black stripe  Rear fender with tail light and leather tool bag (a big one), leather strap around tank, pretty much complete, is it worth fixing?? part it out??

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

G Ellis

jwbike FIRST THING WELCOME TO THE POG..                            AH AH part it out.:D:D:DWhere do you live I will pick it up. [:p][:p] Just having some fun, I would fix it. It sounds like you have a kickstarter return spring problem. I don't know how much you spent on your Penton, or how much you are willing to spend.  You will have to slit the cases.Where are you located? I live in IL. Hope this will help.  Later Gary Ellis

454MRW

jwbike62,
It sounds like you have an early '76 Cross Country 250 (54) built in March of 76 (603). I am rebuilding a similar bike that is a 601 (January or 76) orange tank bike, but mine is missing the side panels and I just finished painting the frame and swingarm. Can you send me a Pic of the bike, especially of both sides showing the side panels so I can get and idea of the color scheme. Thanks and good luck with your project. Mike [email protected]

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS-1980 250
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

tofriedel

jwbike62,

The digits "54" would indicate that it is a 250cc bike.  You are also missing some numbers for the engine serial#.  There should be a total of 8 numbers, they are located forward on the right engine case, just under the cylinder.  But, I could be in error.  It has happened once or twice.

Tony
Tony

jwbike962

OK, I've got a couple more numbers that makes me think it is a 400 and not a 250.
The engine number is 6-5502800 now I think the 55 on the engine indicates a 400.  Looks like a cross country and it could possibly be a 6 speed per the 6 ?
It has a Bing 54 carb.
I'm thinking that the 250 and 400 shared frames though.
As far as side panel...there is one on the left that is red and yellow, but I was told this was from a 250???  I emailed you a pic.
Don't have a right side number plate.
I have been trying to find a picture of one, but can't find it anywhere.
This is pretty difficult research, usually you can just put in the name of a bike and pictures of the bike pop up on the internet.
Once again, thanks for all your help.  If I do decide to part out or get ride of it, I'll let POG know first.

tomale

No tony you are correct, the engine numbers are right above the right side cover and a little bit toward the front and below the barrel fins. they are sometimes covered with mud and it may take some scraping to uncover them. 76' was a transitional year, so depending on when it was made it may make a big difference as to what side covers you use. the early 76 frames used the older style of covers (like the 74/75 models and later that year, the frame were the new style ie MC frames, As I understand, both the enduro as well as the MX used the same frame and only the bikes built later in the year. Probably the easiest way to tell the difference is to ask you what the air box is made out of... The early models used the same airbox as they did in previous years, which was fiberglass and the later model used a completely different airbox. it was made out of cast Magnesium.  fiberglass airbox= olderstyle side covers.... metal airbox newer MC style sidecovers. If you go looking for parts from Al B, he will ask you what your airbox is made out of and that will tell him what your frame looks like.... hope I was not too confusing. If you do not have a service Manual and parts Manual give Al a call and he can fix you up. I have found them both to be very useful...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

jwbike962

Sounds like I need the manuals.  I reread my post and may have missed something, but how do I contact Al?  Is he at Penton USA ?

It sounds like mine is early 1976 so it would use orange and yellow number plates?  Mine has the orange gas tank.  I think the older 76-77 used white number plates...correct?  The airbox is not off, but appears fiberglass.  Doesn't sound like metal when I tunk it with a wrench.

Were the Penton's pretty tough bikes when running?  I mean good ignitions and pretty bullet proof.  The last Penton I remember seeing in action was Old Ted up here in Michigan.  I rode some enduros in I think 2000 and remember seeing his bike.  Got out to a road and thought I would blow by him...no such luck...it got going pretty good.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

454MRW

John,
Al Buehner is listed on the home page under suppliers and is very knowledgeable with parts and information. Tom Brosius is another good source on the suppliers page for reproduction fiberglass side panels and decals. I have a pair of NOS 77 MC5 side covers that are orange with yellow number plate areas and I have an NOS 76/77 MC5 side panel that is red with a green number plate area. I wonder if the red/green is a European color combination. I have also just won a set of 77 GS6 side panels for my brothers bike that are orange with brownish number plate areas, so I don't know which color to paint the number plate area on my 76 Cross Country, but the main color should be orange like the tank. The air box on your bike is fiberglass like mine, as I can tell from the picture you sent me. The correct side panels are the 75 style fiberglass side panels that Tom Brosius sells. My air box is orange in color inside and out like the gas tank, but from the picture yours appears to be plain in color where it is exposed at the bottom of the side cover. I think the early Cross Country designated bikes that are the predecessors of the 1977 GS6 are hard to find, and mine has the lighting wiring harness still on it including the plug in for the headlight, so I would fix it up if you could. If not, I am sure there are several Penton enthusiasts, including myself, that would offer you a very fair price for it. Again, good luck and feel free to ask any questions. There are the most dedicated group of knowledgeable and helpful people on this site which are very dedicated to keeping the Penton Legacy alive! Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS-1980 250
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

tofriedel

jwbike962,

The information that I have at hand, indicates that engines with the
x-55x-xxxxx serial numbers are 350cc engines.

Tony
Tony

454MRW

Tony,
I think you may be referring to the newer KTM bikes, possibly the water cooled versions. The 6-55 should be a 1976 400 according to the guide on the home page under production years at the bottom of the production year guide page where it explains the KTM engine date stamping. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS-1980 250
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R