How to clean gas tank?

Started by SCOTT CURTIS, September 05, 2001, 08:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCOTT CURTIS

I need to clean the bottom of my tank from 20 years of sitting in a barn.  The tank does not leak, I simply need to get the slime out of the bottom. Are there any chemical cleaners which will not damage the fiberglass?

john_wayne

Quotequote:
I need to clean the bottom of my tank from 20 years of sitting in a barn.  The tank does not leak, I simply need to get the slime out of the bottom. Are there any chemical cleaners which will not damage the fiberglass?

i used hot water and gas to clean my tank. it had set up for about 20 years with gas still in it.  my wife didn't like it but i took it in the bathtub and rinsed the hell out of it.  maybe that will work for you.

Johnny Wayne Brewer
Johnny Wayne Brewer

john_wayne

Quotequote:

i used hot water and gas to clean my tank. it had set up for about 20 years with gas still in it.  my wife didn't like it but i took it in the bathtub and rinsed the hell out of it.  maybe that will work for you.

Johnny Wayne Brewer
Johnny Wayne Brewer

skipperclyde

This is the information I received from a cycle salvage yard in Arkansas.  It is designed for steel tanks, may work on fibergalss, and will eat aluminm.

1.  Remove the pitcocks and any other attachments.
2.  Clean inside of tank inside with muriatic acid.
3.  Rinse with water.
4.  Clean inside of tank with white wall cleaner, ie. bleach white.
4.  Rinse with water.
5.  Rinse with acetone.
6.  Let dry.