John Penton's comments on a new Penton

Started by TGTech, June 23, 2006, 09:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

In order to give the Message Board readers a direct perspective on Uncle John's view of Terry Everett's "plan" to make a new Penton, when he came into the office this morning, I asked him to comment on the situation. His comment was, and I quote: "He's beating his head against the wall." He went on to say that things today, are very different than they were when he took his ideas to KTM to build a bike that was ready to race. Think about it. Back then, could you go into a motorcycle shop and buy a bike that was ready to put into the woods? Today, you can go into any motorcycle shop, and buy a quality piece of equipment that will serve you very well. That couldn't be done in 1967.

Uncle John strongly supports the Penton Owners' Group's efforts to support the original Penton motorcycle and it's era, because it was a landmark occurrance. The Group's efforts are channeled into showing people that weren't involved or weren't alive back then, what was created and how much work was put into the project.

And for those who haven't heard it from him before, he is enormously appreciative of all of the Penton Owners' Group members and all of their efforts.

One other note, I recieved an e-mail from Jack Penton this morning about his situation, and in my reply, I asked him to comment on Mr. Everett's ideas as well. As soon as I receive an answer from him, I will post that as well. By the way, Jack is doing well and things are going forward on a positive note.

Dane

tomale

Thanks Dane, I for one am very interest in what "uncle John" has to say, It was the a thrill to finally meet Him. The more I read about him the more I am impressed with his efforts, and it saddens me when I realize that for the most part American motorcyclist today do not even know who he is, Truly a legend in his own time. Please tell him for us... because I am sure that there are many of us who are farely new to Pentons, who like me... how much we appreciate Him as well..not just for his accomplishments on a motorcycle (which are many) but more so for what he has created with in the industry.
As I ponder his words of wisdon I am inclind to agree with him, There are so many good offroad motorcycles and so many that are good enough to win on, even back in the late 70's there were really only a few that were really good. The handling characteristics of bikes back then varied significantly. Most bikes today are reliable, unlike the bikes in the 60's and 70's when only a few could that be said of.. others have tried and failed, I would love to see Pentons become a household name again, but I am not sure that is possible, at least not that way....What Mr. Penton did even considering the day, was truly amazing..

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Larry Perkins

Thanks Dane!

I am sure John has heard it many times but we all so much appreciate all he and all you guys did both back then and now.  All the members old and new get such a thrill when he makes appearances and signs autographs.  The stories he tells are classic and invaluable.  I remember listening to him tell heartfelt stories at my first ISDT Reunion ride in Arkansas and thinking that the young man I was in Texas when I first met John would never have believed that one day he would sit in the sun and have Mr. Penton tell him personally inside stories of racing and travelling.  I am sure many have thrilled to the same experience.  It is good to hear that John gets something back from the members too though from my angle he has given more than we could ever give back.

Larry P

Merlin

............The "real Woodstock" only happened once..........so did the "REAL PENTON".........a real pioneer equal to Papa John Penton would like Papa John use his own name to launch a "new"(sic) brand..............
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

sixdazed

It doesn't sound like Mr. Penton approves.
                      Imagine that.
                     What a shocker!
                Please correct me if i'm wrong...
                                                 Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

tmc3c

Thank You Dane for the update on Jack.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

EdY

Thank, Dane.  I think John's comments, conveyed through you, help bring an issue into perspective that has become way too confrontational elsewhere on this forum.  I would like to weigh in with some remarks that I hope will not upset Mr. Everett or anyone else.

The historical landscape is littered with pitiful tales of people with good intentions who tried to enter our modern, complex, brutally competitive motorcycle industry by invoking the name of a classic brand.  These include Indian, Excelsior/Henderson, and Vincent, to name a few.  All have failed, squandered vast sums from investors, and in most cases destroyed the reputations of the men who were so brave (or foolish?) as to embark upon such projects.

I think some have reacted with concern that a similar effort with the name Penton might hurt our great Penton hertiage.  I think there is little likelihood this will happen.  If we review the failed efforts listed above, we can see that not one had the affect of damaging the reputation or collectible value of the authentic, original brand.  Indian is probably the most abused of these names.  I can think of at least four ventures that have attempted to resurrect Indian.  They all failed miserably and disastrously from a financial point of view, but Indian remains as strong as ever as a mythological marque and a great collectible motorcycle.  Indeed, one might even argue that these failures only bolstered the reputation and authenticity of the real thing.  Likewise, the ill-fated Excelsior/Henderson venture may have squandered a hundred-million of investor's money, not to mention the additional millions lost by dealers, but it did not reduce the value of a real Henderson by one red cent.

I say to Mr. Everett or anyone else who would try to resurrect the Penton name, study your history carefully before investing your time, money, and reputation.  And I would say to fellow POG members, don't get too concerned about this issue.  I don't think any one of us is capable -- even in our worst foolishness -- of doing anything that could damage the great Penton name and heritage.  

Let's focus on honoring the real thing.  If someone believes the best way to do this is to create a latter-day version, fine, let him try.  History will be his judge.

Ed Youngblood
//www.motohistory.net

OhioTed

Thanks to EdY for a most insightful and encouraging post.  Also, in keeping with our desire to honor Mr. John Penton, the world-class motorcycles which bear his name, and his contributions to the world of motorycling - if you have not already done so, please acquire copies of EdY's excellent book on The Man, as well as the POG videos currently being offered.  Although I happen to be involved in the recent video projects, please don't take this as just trying to sell product.  On the contrary, the book, and the videos, are a great way to experience, to share, and to enlighten as many folks as possible, of the history of the Penton family and thier motorcycles.

[email protected]

Dane the comments you relayed from your uncle John were great to hear. Even though I am involved with Hodaka motorcycles I have a deep love also for the Penton brand. Many of you guys who are a part of the Penton Owners group are also great personal friends.
I too have been aproached by people wanting me to be involved with making a "new" Hodaka. These people are all about the $$$ and not the passion that goes with the Penton or Hodaka brands.

My personal comments to people that have wanted me to build this "new " Hodaka have been that I may as well go to Home Depot and buy a new John Deere tractor. Replace the John Deere decals with Hodaka decals and call it a Hodaka tractor. Just does not work for me.
If it is any help all the original Pabatco/ Hodaka guys also feel the same way. It just would be called a Penton or a Hodaka but would not have the charactor nor the personality. You guys like us Hodaka guys have the same idea to "keep the original brand alive" by doing what you do here on this group and what Phil does on the  Hodaka yahoo group. We are both kind of the little brands that could seeing we are both smaller than most but have a fanatical following. Anyway my 2 cents. Thank you Paul D. for the space here to post and I hope to see you guys at Mid-Ohio !!
Thanks
Paul

gthong

I am not "up" on exactly what's going on here.. Is someone trying to "duplicate" or re create the PENTON.. are they nuts?

It's only original ONCE!!!!!

It's like the hatchet George Washington cut down the infamous cherry tree with.. "IT ALMOST ORIGINAL.. WE ONLY REPLACED THE HEAD AND THE HANDLE"

TGTech

According to information that I have gathered and been provided, there is not going to be a new, production, Penton motorcycle. The requirements that would be necessary to do so, are simply not feasible.

Dane

Rain Man

well I guess we can just keep on reconditioning the old ones then. [8D] Maybe the production lines nill, but our individual ingenuity on the originals ones oughta shine through.
  I know my repos run and look great!!

2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tomale

This is alittle off the subject but then maybe not, Several weeks ago when Mac and I did the Enduro, I got the chance to share briefly the Penton story with those who came by to look at my bike. All that heard it were amazed. It helps them realize the KTM's that they ride today are a direct result of The bikes we (POG) love and ride . Everytime I go out on one of my Penton's it brings Context to the world of off road racing today. One of the guys who put on the Enduro, said that "the woods are colored with orange" And to my amazement he is right, KTM may not have the big time money to splash accross every TV screen and Rag but those in the know who ride in the woods know which color to ride. It may have KTM on the Tank but we know it is Penton that is the heart of that orange machine:D

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

thrownchain

OhioTed

Tomale - It is so great that guys like you are out there on a regular basis, riding and/or racing your classic Penton motorcycles.  Doing so demonstrates not only your dedication to the marque, but shares the great Penton motorcycle with other riders who otherwise would know nothing of them.