1976 Penton / KTM 400

Started by jwbike962, June 26, 2006, 04:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwbike962

1976 Penton 400 needs total restoration $900 or best offer

After talking by email with several of you and being told that the 400 is a relatively sought after bike, I have decided not to part it out at this time, but to sell it hopefully to someone here at POG.
I came up with the starting price from your input.  I will take offers on the bike, below is a long winded description of the bike and also a web site where pictures can be seen.

http://hometown.aol.com/jwbike962/page1.html

I would have put the pictures here, but couldn't figure it out.  The website pics are lower quality.  I can send and 8 picture set (16 MB) to your email box if you want to zoom in real close.  You can also email me and I can take more pictures or answer questions.

Engine:  Turns over-owner told me it had a blown head gasket.  Shifting is very notch and kickstarter is not engaging.  Bike sat for years and oil was like jelly.  I flushed the gearbox and put in new oil, before that it wouldn't shift at all...now it shifts.  I tend to think things are OK, but just gummed up.  Biggest problem with the engine I can see is that the case cracked where the engine stay connects to it on the left side.  I'm sure it could be welded but it will take some good prep work.  Also, I don't know if there is spark as there is no chain on the bike and I can't get it to turn over fast enough using the crank.  The magnesium covers show some signs of interior corrosion (moisture?) but I cleaned up the surgaces and right now the gearbox is holding oil after I made a new gasket.

Other things:  fender bag has MS logo and all the straps-front fender says FALK ? - fiberglass airbox - no grips - no clutch lever / perch -needs roller set up for chain guide - seat cover torn - have not looked at carb - tail light broken - no headlight / # plate - has speedo drive but no cable or speedometer - no front brake shoes, well I take that back, they are in a baggy as they fell off the metal and were just sitting in the front wheel - front tire is flat - shifter is bent (bend back?)

You will need to come get this bike in Fremont, MI.  I might, repeat might, be able to help someone out by driving a couple hours depending on my schedule.  No title, bike will come with a bill of sale.

I might have missed some things, but feel free to ask me questions or ask me to take more photos.

You can call me evenings at 231-924-5965 or email me at [email protected] .

jwbike962

OR BEST  reasonable OFFER is true in this case.  Haven't heard a price from anyone yet.?.  Thanks for looking though. Lots of people saw the ad.  Look at the pictures anyway and if there is something you need, and nobody wants to buy it, I may be parting it out soon.
Thanks

tlanders

The frame looks like the 1974.5/1975 frame, not the 1976/1977 MC5 frame that I would expect on a 1976 bike?? Maybe one of the last models before the MC5?? I know a couple guys looking for Pentons, I'll pass it on.

Teddy

454MRW

Teddy,
I have the same bike in a 250 built Jan. 76. It is a Cross Country, and uses the same style frame as a 74 1/2-75 Enduro. I wonder if they only made them for 2-3 months, because I have only seen a single picture of one in the POG show Pics. and it had a new white  side panel, not the original one. Correct me if this is wrong, but I think the side panel should be orange with a yellow number plate area. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

OUCWBOY

It is my understanding that through 1976, the GS used the old style frames and in 1977 the GS went to the modified MC 5 frame with the turtle back for the hi breather.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Donny, Would that also apply to the 250 GS?

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

454MRW

According to the guide on the home page under identification, there was no 76 GS as they started in 77, only the Cross Country, and the MC5. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

OUCWBOY

Thomas,
Yes that was what I was refering to.
Mike, I guess we can call them whatever we want to, but on my 1976 Parts Manual, there are three. One is the manual for the engines. One is for the MC 5 Frame and the other is Titled "Spare Parts Manual - Frame, for the Cross-Country GS 125 - 175 - 250 - 400. So, wheather you call it a Cross Country or a GS, it's the same bike.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

As always a guide is a guide not a rulebook.  We mostly called them Cross-Country models and I think KTM came up with the GS term which is a German or Austrian abbreviation that has been discussed previously.  In 76 the GS was the old style frame and the MC5 frame was the new triangular three rod low breather frame.  In 77 the GS models had a completely revamped frame that was different than the MC5 frame.  It was a huge high breather deal that over time seems to have more rusting troubles than other KTM or Penton models.  Most of the ones I saw in 77 had leading axle Zokes or Cerianis but so did some of the 76, though they steered bad in my opinion.

Larry P

Rain Man

Ya they steer kinda funky and their leg breakers too Larry !!
 I have what I think is an early 77 GS 400.  It does have the leading front axle and the high breather frame. It runs superb, but its also a maintenance night mare :(.  I am constantly working on it. One bit of advice  i have:  dont get in its roost, this bike has plenty of bark !
  I think/feel that the tires need to be sharp, and the brakes cleaned often.
     2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons