NOS Headlight Trade

Started by celcius232, July 06, 2006, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celcius232

I have a NOS large style CEV headlight assembly (for a '73?) that I would like to swap for the small version for my '72 125.  Thanks.  Brian

Brian S. Goodman
Brian S. Goodman

celcius232

Does anyone know which models the large style gray CEV headlight was used on?

Brian S. Goodman
Brian S. Goodman

OUCWBOY

I'm not sure there was a rule for the headlights. My NEW 69 Six Day and my NEW 72 Jackpiner both had the large headlight. At the dealership in 1973, I remember seeing a Jackpiner with the small headlight. Hopefully others can clear this up some.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

When this gets all talked about we should archive it for the next time it comes around.  

This is what my memory remembers.  There were 5 styles of lights that came on Pentons.  There is the large bullet, the small bullet, the large ones with the flat spot on the back, the small ones with the flat spot on the back, the Petty headlight #plate, and the orange shelled headlight #plate.  

On the large bullet-I think these were only on the first couple of years steel tankers.  I think the rest of the steel tankers had the smaller one with the flat spot. Then the first year or two of the CMF bikes had the small bullet.  Then on some 73 CMFs and on most all the 74 and 75 the large one with the flat spot on the back is used.  I saw some 76 with this one also.  Most all the bikes with this headlight seem to have the Falk rear fender with CEV tailight. Most 76 I saw had the orange headlight #plate.  From 73 on a decent amount of the enduros have Petty.  Most of these have Petty fender/tailight also.  Some were added after purchase and some came that way.  We got bikes from Penton Central out of Amarillo and got mostly MXers and stocked an enduro kit that was Petty stuff.  As in all dealings with Penton and KTM there were no hard and fast rules as to what was used.  Some earlier lights were installed on later models by the dealer to move stock and get an enduro sale.  Most of these headlights were CEV though I know at least apart of the large ones with the flat spot on the back were made by ZKW or KW.  Too many concussions.  

Hope this helps a bit.

Larry P

celcius232

Does anyone know which models the large style gray CEV headlight was used on?

Brian S. Goodman
Brian S. Goodman

OUCWBOY

I'm not sure there was a rule for the headlights. My NEW 69 Six Day and my NEW 72 Jackpiner both had the large headlight. At the dealership in 1973, I remember seeing a Jackpiner with the small headlight. Hopefully others can clear this up some.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

When this gets all talked about we should archive it for the next time it comes around.  

This is what my memory remembers.  There were 5 styles of lights that came on Pentons.  There is the large bullet, the small bullet, the large ones with the flat spot on the back, the small ones with the flat spot on the back, the Petty headlight #plate, and the orange shelled headlight #plate.  

On the large bullet-I think these were only on the first couple of years steel tankers.  I think the rest of the steel tankers had the smaller one with the flat spot. Then the first year or two of the CMF bikes had the small bullet.  Then on some 73 CMFs and on most all the 74 and 75 the large one with the flat spot on the back is used.  I saw some 76 with this one also.  Most all the bikes with this headlight seem to have the Falk rear fender with CEV tailight. Most 76 I saw had the orange headlight #plate.  From 73 on a decent amount of the enduros have Petty.  Most of these have Petty fender/tailight also.  Some were added after purchase and some came that way.  We got bikes from Penton Central out of Amarillo and got mostly MXers and stocked an enduro kit that was Petty stuff.  As in all dealings with Penton and KTM there were no hard and fast rules as to what was used.  Some earlier lights were installed on later models by the dealer to move stock and get an enduro sale.  Most of these headlights were CEV though I know at least apart of the large ones with the flat spot on the back were made by ZKW or KW.  Too many concussions.  

Hope this helps a bit.

Larry P

t20sl

I remember when we sold Pentons that the 1969, 1970 and the 1971 steel tankers all had the large flat back CEV units.  Our bikes came directly from Loarin, OH

OUCWBOY

Ted,
That's how I remember my 69. My 72 Jackpiner was the same as well.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

celcius232

The NOS one that I have is the large one with the flat back that I got from Larry a few years ago. I believe is has CEV markings.  I would like to swap it for the small bullet style model.  Brian

Brian S. Goodman
Brian S. Goodman

thrownchain

Larry, if you read your post you mention 5 styles and describe 6. How many concussions have you had??

Larry Perkins

Six hospital confirmed, with three of them knockouts, one of which was for almost two weeks. They called that one coma.  If I would proofread more it wouldn't stand out so much.

Larry P

thrownchain

Yeah, but if someone didn't find the mistakes, you might think some of us weren't paying attention. Ride safe.[^]

Larry Perkins

Ride safe?  When I was younger and would be leaving the house to go race my Mom would say,"Do good and be careful."  I would always ask her, "Which do you want me to do?"

Larry P

firstturn

You did GOOD!

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh