hmmmm

Started by eddie, July 28, 2006, 09:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie

Hello and thank you for the reply,

Just wanted to know if the 1977 ktm 400 gs6 was worth holding on to or not??? I do love the bike but is it worth the money to take care of? I need a couple of magore parts and dont know if it going to cost an arm and a leag to get ahold of them. I need the right motor casing and right shock. Also number plates and a little cosmeticks. Somone please help me out! Dont want to ditch the bike, if anything i would sell it but i like fast things and admire and respect the vintage!

Thanks Eddie

eddie

it is a mc5 i believe. If anyone knows anything about it let me know, i might just end up selling it, so let me know on some offers please!

Thank You

tomale

Eddie, you kind of need to determine what you are willing to spend, It need not take alot of money but it will more than likely take a few hundred bucks.. All of what you need are available... the cool thing that the motor and many of the chassis stuff is interchangable from one year to the next.... Right motor covers are faily common. my buddy Tom sells fiberglass airbox covers and pipe sheilds.... you will need to tell him what year because these are not all that interchangable... in your case, these are the same for MC5's 76&77 Shocks are matter of taste, if you are looking for the originals then these can get dificult to find but if you just need something that will work and you do not what to spend much money they can be had for under 200-250 bucks for a set that will look period correct and will work fairly well, if you are looking for state of the art, then expect to pay alot more.... Again that is up to you..
On the home page you will find a listing for suppliers... click on that and you will find all sort of good people to help you... I personallly prefer, Al buehner, he is fair, has a good selection of parts and is very good at getting parts to you in most cases under a week... Tom B is also listed and he is good people and he can help with any body parts... good luck, and believe me, unless the bike is totally trashed it is worth keeping. Asking question on this site was the best thing you have done so far, the wealth of information here is more than you could ever imagine. It is by far the best Vintage Bike site there is, no kidding.... I have several other vintage bikes of a different brands and I wish what is available for them was even half as good.... It is the standard by which all other web groups should be judged by...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

eddie

thank you for your reply, no the bike is not trashed but in very good condition. havent had the money to get it runnin yet but I have other projects on top of projects. But from what I have herd, it is worth holding on too. But if I were to sell it, how much do you think i could get for it??

Thank You, Eddie

eddie

Oh yea, can anyone get me a right motor casing?? Need one pretty bad!!! Need to know the order of things to do to get the bike runing. Has been sitten for a long time!!!

tomale

Eddie, It is hard to say what the bike is worth... It sort of depends on the time of year and just how nice the bike really is and what part of the country you are in. It is helpful that if I read this right it is for the most part in orginal condition... One thing is for sure, if you really want to sell it then your best shot of selling it is when it is complete... Did you call up Al and see if he had a right side case? I would think that getting shocks would be pretty important. you could "ride the bike" with out the body pieces but not a good idea.. I had bought a 78 Mc5 a couple of years ago for 1500 bucks and thought I got a good deal. it was for the most part complete and only required a little bit of work to make it race ready. A really nice bike and I mean like show room condition could go for alot more, maybe double.. I know a guy that paid a bunch of money for a really rare Penton, how much... well lets just say that you could buy two brand new bikes for what he paid for it, so you see it really depends on alot of factors....You may be able to search ebay for some used parts. I have bought a few things that way... We do have a Wanted section here that has been helpful as well... Key here is not to loose your patience, If you do you can expect to pay alot more....

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

eddie

thank you for the reply, it is good condition and was thinking about $1000.00 as is!