Suspension upgrade

Started by Mike Horton, August 15, 2006, 05:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

I am thinking about upgrading the suspension on one of my Jackpiners so to help when I ride with friends, all of which have modern bikes. I am assuming the 7" (rear) travel bike would be the better choice with Works shocks (single, dual ... rate shocks ?) As far as the front, I have no idea. Not opposed to complete replacement etc. I know the bike can't equal a modern bike's performance, but I'm sure it can be made better. .

Thanks Mike

farmer58za

Mike

I'd go with the 7" travel Works rear shocks and just careful set-up on the forks.

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

socalmx

Buy a modern bike and leave the Penton for vintage type events. I enjoy racing my Penton as much as anyone but when it is time to go for a real ride, I take my modern bike. There is no substitute for lots of suspension, great engine performance, and reliability.

Dwight Rudder

Agreed.  Parts are too hard to come by to use this bike as a every day rider.  Buy yourself a used modern bike at less money than your Jackpiner is worth.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

tomale

I am glad to read that I am not the only one who thinks this way, To make your piner even close to what your friends have would cost you a ton of money. you can pick up a used bike even one that is ten years old and have a better woods bike than what you would end up with by modifying your piner. And do so for less money.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mike Horton

Ok I understand your points and probably agree with you for the most part, but that wasn't the point of my question. What I was asking was what can be done to these bike to improve the suspensions without major modifications. I enjoy riding these bikes. Probably more then my 200 EXC. I don't mind riding them once a month on a moderately aggressive trail ride and I am willing to accept what may happen. I don't feel it is any different then racing them around a vintage MX track. Its about whatever your into and what makes you happy. I was just asking for some expert advice on what would make the riding easier on me and probably on the bike also.      

Thanks, Mike