69' Penton steel tanker (yea or nay)

Started by pakala, October 08, 2006, 12:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pakala

The guy wants $400.00 bucks. Should I run to get it or pass on it ?
  http://tinyurl.com/hgpmf
                      Paul (socal)

OUCWBOY

Any Steel tanker is worth saving, but this is not a 1969 engine. It is either a 70 or 71. Give us the frame number and that will help with the year ID. After closer inspection of the frame, it could be a 69 frame, but the aluminum engine didn't appear until the 70 year model and the engines in the Penton didn't have DKW on the cases, so either the engine side case was replaced or someone installed a newer engine in the chassis.

Donny Smith
Lakeside, CA, soon to be Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

pakala

I asked the guy the same question about the DKW side case.He does not know much about the bike.Does not know if it is the stock engine. He got the bike from some "old guy in the area".
  Is the tank, frame, wheels and hardware worth $400.00??
  I will try and get the frame numbers. I woke him up this moring at 9:00am, he went to bed at 4:30am?? He said call later in the day. I am off to the Bolts vs Steelers game in SD, so I will try him on Monday.
         Paul

thrownchain

I think you could get your investment back, maybe even make a profit.

thrownchain

I'd be interested in the motor, pipe and carb. [^]

OUCWBOY

Any Steel tanker is worth saving, but this is not a 1969 engine. It is either a 70 or 71. Give us the frame number and that will help with the year ID. After closer inspection of the frame, it could be a 69 frame, but the aluminum engine didn't appear until the 70 year model and the engines in the Penton didn't have DKW on the cases, so either the engine side case was replaced or someone installed a newer engine in the chassis.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

pakala

I asked the guy the same question about the DKW side case.He does not know much about the bike.Does not know if it is the stock engine. He got the bike from some "old guy in the area".
  Is the tank, frame, wheels and hardware worth $400.00??
  I will try and get the frame numbers. I woke him up this moring at 9:00am, he went to bed at 4:30am?? He said call later in the day. I am off to the Bolts vs Steelers game in SD, so I will try him on Monday.
         Paul

thrownchain

I think you could get your investment back, maybe even make a profit.

thrownchain

I'd be interested in the motor, pipe and carb. [^]

pakala

I am waiting for party animal too get back to me with a frame number. Then we will see what we have. I try to offer him less than the $400.00 and he said no! the price is firm.
   I may just buy it and send it to Kip to restore? Ride it at ISDTR 07.
                     Paul(socal)

OUCWBOY

Looking at the photo's, it appears to me that this is a 69 frame and tank. The front fender bracket is the wider one, which was seen on the 70 and 71. Cab't really see if it is a high breather frame, if not, then I would say it's a 68 frame. The tank is for sure a 69. Engine is not correct for this frame either way. Don't let the DKW ignition cover fool you, it looks to me like an A engine.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

pakala

The seller has not called back with the frame numbers? With info from the production year guide, it seems to point to 69 year like Donny said.
 6 bolt rear sprocket carrier.
 Chain guard 11" along the top.Looks to be shorter than pics of 68' chain guard.
 No threaded holes on top of gas tank, so not a 1970 tank.
 Does have 5" front fender brace,1970. Maybe was damage and replaced with later year part.
 Even with the wrong engine this bike should be saved, right?
 Bike has not led a gentle life!! I think it is time for this one to come home to POG. I will call this seller in the moring and see if I can rescue the poor thing.
                Paul

OUCWBOY

If it were closer to me, I would go for it. Good Luck and it does need a good home.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

pakala

Picked up bike. Frame number V1088.  http://tinyurl.com/nf37f
 Now need to find out what it is? Year,engine,lights, center stand,fenders.
                     Paul(socal)