Getting Exhaust On 125 Six Days

Started by jay cohen, October 19, 2006, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay cohen

I'm having a bugger of a time getting the exhaust pipe on my '72 125 Six Days.  I have the engine bolted in and can't seem to get the pipe on.  Do I have to take out the engine mounting bolts so I can wobble the engine around while putting on the pipe or should it slide on with the engine bolted in the frame? thanks for any help, Jay

rob w

Jay,

It should go on with the engine bolted firmly into the frame.
Do you have it to the point where it is close to fitting onto the exhaust manifold, maybe within a half inch or so ?
Where is it hanging up - what is it making contact with that is stopping movement ?
Sometimes you need to remove all the rubber isolator mounts, until the head pipe is on the manifold.

Bob Wardlow
Grand Rapids, MI.

jay cohen

Thanks Bob, that's good to know.  I don't have any of the rubber mounting pieces on. I even took off the right shock to get more swing.  It was a real bugger getting off, now getting it on is as bad. I don't see it hitting anything.  I'm thinking of taking off the end of the exhaust pipe so I can get more swing yet.

Rocket

On the 100/125, I leave the exhaust mainfold loose, insert it in the pipe and then put it in the frame.  Gives you a little more room when it gets close to the cylindar on final line-up.
Just my opinion,
Rocket

jay cohen

Thanks Bob and Rocket. I won't have a chance to get back to it this weekend, hopefully early in the week. Have a nice weekend, Jay in Boyce, Virginia

cubfan1968

Jay, its a bear getting that pipe back on again, I've painted the air blue several times getting these pipes on.  The advice Rocket and Bob gave you is solid, just keep at it. Good Luck.

I noticed a little arrogance in Bob's post. You know a guys team goes to the World Series and he thinks he knows it all.

Go Tigers!!!

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

desmond197

I take the airbox off. That seems to help and it's only a few bolts and makes it easyer.

socalmx

Easy fix is cut back the exhaust a little bit to give yourself a little more clearance between it and the flange.

Ron

Hi Jay,
I hadn't seen your post before I entered mine "Six Days 125 -- Assembly" above.
I had the same problem figuring out how to get the pipe on. If you read my post above, I don't think it will go on unless you remove the cylinder head.
BTW, you don't need to take out the airbox, just the head.
I didn't try shortnening the the pipe like SoCalMX suggested, I can see where that could work. Didn't think of that one.
Good Luck,
RonW

Paul Danik

I used to say that I wanted to go to the factory just to see how they put the pipes on the bikes.

I think there are two different schools of thought for the pipe installation. If you are doing a first class restoration and you are concerned about nicking the paint, then maybe removal of certain items will help to keep your paintwork in perfect condition.

If your bike is a rider and you just had the pipe off for whatever reason, it should go back on without removal or losening of the head or the airbox. You may nick the paint in doing so, but unless that pipe has gotten bent in the last 30 years it should go back on. If you got it out it should go back in. The main thing I always do is remove the rubber mounts from the frame and the pipe. The suggestion to lossen the exhaust flange is a great idea, I am not going to tell how I use a rubber mallet to give the pipe one well placed tap on the headpipe to get it to pop into the flange.

I take great pains to get my airbox in place and sealed properly up against the breather area and get it bolted in just right, I'm talking some serious time and examination from all angles, once it is in I don't like to mess with it.   I feel the same about the cylinder head as I do about the airbox. My main concern has always been dirt getting into the wrong area, even a really clean bike can have "stuff" embedded in certain areas that can become dislodged and find its way into a vital area, or a perfect seal being broken and water finding a way into the air intake system.
   Paul

OUCWBOY

Something I have ran into over the years, a 73 pipe fits differently than a 72 pipe. I had a 73 that someone had installed a 72 pipe on and they just don't fit the same for some reason.

Donny Smith
Lakeside, CA, soon to be Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

conrad2

I just did a pipe installation on a 72 with a 73 pipe, I am no expert but I think you are right about something being different between the two.
Paul is an executive official of the organization and has to uphold the "proper tool bylaws" when it comes to mallet isuues.. but I do not.. I can tell to whack the heck out of it with a rubber mallet!!
One thing that really helped me was a sledgehammer handle ( minus the hammer part) to give it a little push. A baseball bat may work too.
I still hurt my back and pegged the curse-o-meter!
I think pipe installation should be an initiation to POG for new members.

Conrad Pfeifer
1972 Penton Six Days
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

jay cohen

Now I feel better. I thought I was the only one not capable of doing a simple job.  Knowing others have had similar problems with this darn exhaust system is good for the psyche.  I still haven't had a chance this weekend and have just returned home from visiting family in NE PA, but I think I like the idea of taking off the manifold and slipping it into the pipe and then trying to get it to line up. I'll get back to you.

brokenb23

HMMMMM! I had a 72 6-day and never had to remove anything to get my pipe on. But it took determination,patience, and a lot of twisting and turning. But it always came off and went back on. I had a simple exhaust tip on my stinger. A bulky muffler might hamper things.
Good Luck,
Bob Brizzee
Tucson AZ  
Wondering when Paragould is annexing San Diego

Tony Price

It's been my experience that pipe installation on a CMF is totally and completely at the mercy of planetary alignment and certain factors related to the Dark Arts.

I've had them slip right on, and I've spent 2 hours or more getting one on.  I have no idea what differences there were between the two attempts either.

A Banke pipe takes about 30 seconds.........

Tony
Tony