WHO REALLY CONTROLS AHRMA RACING?

Started by Larry Perkins, October 30, 2006, 07:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

454MRW

I like that idea, and I fit into that catagory perfectly. For the entire weekend, I was back in my late teenage years when I bought my 74 250 HS and rode the trails near my home in Central Eastern Illinois. A lot of the RR resembled these trails, with the exception of the deep mud. When it rained like that, I generally avoided the bad portions of the woods that a couple of my friends and I rode in.
No bad weather or poorly picked trail sections will stop me from continuing to come to these and even more similar events as the next year approaches. I have my hands full in my shop for now, but look for me after the first of the year at as many similar events as I can manage! I think that New Blain should be better for bringing one of my older Pentons to ride instead of the MX-6. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

smkt342

I think the vast majority of riders had a great time with little complaints except for the mud but the MO riders can't help the weather much.  Something like this pops up every year then blows over, it always does and we have another great ride.  All this is said with respect to all opionions on this thread so far, no slams intended for anyone.  Just my two for some perspective.

Keith

TGTech

Don't be so "vanilla" Keith, tell us how you really feel. Good to see you again.

Dane

pketchum

Jeff DeBell spoke the truth when he said those who were doing technical inspections were cold and wet.  All I could think about was getting off my feet and having someone wait on me and afterwards have a drink and relax with a couple of my friends, both newcomers to this event.

It speaks volumes about their tenacity and riding ability when I point out one of these riders DNF'd on Day1 aboard his pristine Hodaka and another who made friends with practically every chase rider the Missouri Mudders enlisted - he still didn't hour out on Day1.  

Both riders continued on Day2 with much enthusiasm with the Hodaka rider aboard a borrowed Husky 250 and the Penton rider still enjoying every minute.  Both finished Day2 with the Penton rider glad to have finished with a Bronze medal he will undoubtably remember for the rest of his life.  Both riders are eager to return to the ISDTRR in 2007.  Fortunately, neither met the New Blaine, AR Fire Chief, Duane Milsap, or else they would have figured they were going to be exta's in the remake of "Deliverance".:D

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Larry Perkins

Yearly problems that seem to disappear, the tech guys being cold, and people being tenacious certainly makes an unfair rule and poor trail choice in parts due to weather go completely away.  Not!  At least all those things make the event more fun.  Not!  Those things surely nullify the original gripe.  Not!

Larry P

454MRW

Like I stated before, this is all new to me, and since I was riding a slightly newer bike with more ground clearance and longer travel suspension, there was a definite advantage the Vintage guys didn't get. My 78 MX-6 250 KTM probably saved my #$% more than once and I couldn't have done it on my 74 250 HS Penton. I would have been just beat to death by the conditions. Whether it be Mother Nature, or just poor planing, it doesn't really matter now. What is done is done, and I hope others learn from the hosts mistakes and future events, where ever they are held, are more Vintage friendly. That said, I think that if I was able to still smile about the whole experience, the next events that I enter will be an incredibly fun time that I can not wait for! Phil & company, Thanks for urging me to attend! Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

smkt342

Thanks Dane, I think. :D  Hey that's as decriptive as I get! LOL. I got my learn'in in Arkansas you know.  Kyle and I had a good time, bikes worked great, Kyle had flat on day one, fixed it rode day two.  I think Kyle might agree with John P. that the 250cc might be the best all around cc for a trail bike, he loves his.  I think that was a quote from Mr. Penton.  It was good to see you as always.

Keith Taylor