Pentons in the Baja 500 / 1000

Started by cubfan1968, November 11, 2006, 09:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

linglewn

Maybe so, but the frame, exhaust, seat, and maybe swingarm look more like a DKW.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Paul Danik

The gentleman in the picture is none other than Preston Petty the fender master.

One time when we were in Oregon for some Qualifiers we stopped at his shop and were given a tour of the place, you should have seen his reject pile from his R & D area.  He tried to make all kinds of stuff from plastic, obviously some worked quite well, but some of it didn't.  They had a big hopper on top of the fender making machines where they would dump in plastic pellets, in no time the pellets were heated and formed into fenders.  

Paul

socalmx

Its a DKW circa 1972 or 1973 (not 1969 like picture says) with a 350 x 19 front wheel laced up to what appears to be a Rickman hub and "Cherry" forks. I suspect the Preston did not like the leading link front end that came stock on the bike. Of interest is he is running a stock pipe. I remember very well from my DKW days that the pipe was junk. Can't remember how many times I was re-welding it to keep it together.

Big Mac

Ok, at least there's a connection over to Penton with the Sachs motor. Maybe he stole a KTM tank to put on it for range, sure looks like a KTM badge in the pic.

Petty's old fender factory in Newberg, OR is a printing shop now. I drive by it on my way to my favorite riding area. The stories the walls could tell if they talked...

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

socalmx

How many alloy fenders on Pentons got thrown in the corner and replaced with a pair of PP fenders? It was a great way to personalize your bike. I remember seeing Six Days with green, yellow, white, and silver fenders. On the east coast, it was his headlight assemblies while on the west coast, it was the number plate toolbox. Neat guy and great products for their time.