Penton Tech Tips (gottny?)

Started by DKWRACER, November 12, 2006, 02:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

I 'spose this one does'nt really classify as a tech tip, but....

....you can hear the ocean if you hold a MC5 airbox up to your ear.

:D[:o)] Bob

Rain Man

Bob,In Michigan ??  last time I heard the ocean in a Penton air box was back in 1976 Dec 31, when I was riding the 7 miles of Sandy beach on my JP here in Southern Me.[8D]
 Heres a tip, dont try that today, they will impound you and your bike, the beach is for the rich, silly.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Rain Man

Okay heres a tech tip for all you guys that dont put your bike  away in September, when it gets "really cold out". ;)
  Grind off the points of the ice screws before installing them  in your tires.  The rocks you hit in between ice patches and frost will less likely puncture your tube [V]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

DKWRACER

Hello Poggers.
In keeping the trend alive, there is a song by Allison Krause
"Gravity"
Perhaps to prove that words, like music, do mean something in our lives.

"Gravity"

I left home when I was seventeen
I just grew tired of falling down
And I'm sure I was told
The allure of the road
Would be all I found

And all the answers that I started with
Turned out questions in the end
So years roll on by
And just like the sky
The road never ends

And the people who love me still ask me
When are you coming back to town
And I answer quite frankly
When they stop building roads
And all God needs is gravity to hold me down

Thanks, very much for the input! [:p]

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

tomale

Hey Tom, I learned something the other day.... new bearings need to be handled very carefully.... I was told by a master mechanic that works on those German sports cars. that the simple act of spinning a new bearing without lubing it first can cause serious damage... As it turns out, new bearings have microscopic peaks on the surface of the bearings and these peaks if they are not buffered by oil can scratch the races or even the cage. the result is a small amount of damage that turns into a major damage as the bearing is put under a load...
Also, you know how the manual always tells you to instal the bearing,, they are not making a suggestion. as it turns out too much side load or shock caused from installing the bearing incorrectly can damage it as well, so follow the manual exactly....Find a better place to use that huge hammer, like driving tent pegs into the ground to hold down your easy up from blowing away at the races....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

DKWRACER

An Ocean heard within a "Penton" airbox? Never heard it described that way...but perhaps a quiet Penton motor. Hear is a link to replace the rubber vibe tubes, a simple jig LOA is 21 inches. id is to allow the insertion of 1/2 in. butyl rubber with twisty wires etc...jig is made to stretch a piece of 6 in. to 9 in. with ample room to insert the wires and the rubber into the cylinder....We draw, because we are the POG...
Tom Brosius
Mile High Pentons

http://cone.viawest.net/users/dkwracer/savetwo
Thomas Brosius

Rain Man

ingenious idea Tom, simply ingenious.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Chakka

WOW Tom! You are the man. I was just looking at a 250 cylinder in my basement in preparation for painting it and was puzzling how to remove those pieces. Outstanding

Chris

DKWRACER

Hmmmmm, seems a little quiet around here,.........
I often forget which way to turn the petcock levers to the off position (doh), try this: superglue the plastic pads the the on/off lever, grab a triangle file and file some notches to the upper side of the plastic when the lever is in the off position (facing upwards)
grab some bright finger nail polish and fill the gooves so that when they are visible in the up position, you can see which way is off...

Bat-jezzz, we don't need no stickin Bat-jezz.......

http://cone.viawest.net/users/dkwracer/savetwo/

Adios, Penton Pals!:D

Tom Brosius
Mile High Pentons
Thomas Brosius

Lew Mayer

Tom,is that Rollie Free on that KTM?;)

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

DKWRACER

Lew, there is a force, which constantly asks "why do you do"

One motorcycle, a Dream, a Penton, a Podium

This would never have happened, without:

JP

Tom
Thomas Brosius

PentonRestoration

Quotequote:Originally posted by bentrims

Tom,

I have a tech tip for that right out of "Ripleys Believe It Or Not".
I DID have a washer go into the bottom end once. Placing a small magnet inside the rod channel against one of the counter balances and slowly turning it. The foreign metal item came out 1st turn....and then I inhaled a sigh of relief.
TB

Many years ago as a 16 year old, I had the head and cylinder off my 125 SDT and was attempting to install a new piston.  I dropped a clip down into the bottom end.  I was horrified at what I had done and was literally sick about it.  Without moving the crank, I waited for my father to come home from work for advice.  My father, held a master degree in Mechanical Engineering.  When he arrived home I explained what happened and he paused for a moment, walked over to the garage got a bottle of oil and poured a little on each crank lobe.  Then he slowly tuned the crank.  The clip, stuck to the crank lobe and rose to a point where I could grab it with a pair of pliers.  Needless to say, I was astonished.  

A year later, a friend did exactly the same thing with his Yamaha, I tried the same retrieval technique and it worked.  

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

PentonRestoration

I've discovered a trick for removing small heavily rusted screws. I haven't tried it on large screws.  I wanted to save the hand controls for my 125 SDT but all the screws were very rusted and seized.  

Not wanting to use heat, I realized that extreme cold should work just as well.  I had a can of "Freeze Spray" used in electronics (Sold by MCM Electronics).  This freeze spray cools to -60 F.  

The trick is to spray tiny amounts of the spray onto the screw head very slowly.  Spray a little, let it evaporate and frost form, then spray more let frost form.  Take your time.  Then once the spray seems to take a long time to vaporize, the screw is very cold and ready for removal.  

I was able to remove all the screws, without breaking them or stripping out any of the threads from the aluminum hand controls after they had sat out in the rain for 20 YEARS!

By the way, I've since discovered a company that sells a product which mixes freeze spray and penetrating oil.  I tried it and found it does not work nearly as well as freeze spray alone.  It appears the oil slows the evaporation of the coolant to the point it doesn't cool adequately.

Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X
Jerry
1972 125 Six Day
CRF150
CRF230
CRF450X

DKWRACER

Perhaps, an ODE to a Penton?
Had a problem with a spun rear wheel bearing ie: wallowed surface...
Locktite 660 to the cure?...Worth a try?

Much, like the "fire" that burns below.

Adios, Penton Pals, MM day ;)

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Big Mac

Bing fix... learned this from the Bing Agency gurus: Have inconsistent/hard starting? Or ever have your bike flood when you parked and forgot to turn off the fuel stops? Symptoms of a leaky fuel float valve.

The drain screw in the cranckcase bottom (between the fins-KTM) gets the excess fuel out if all else fails, but a fuel valve fix is the cure. Replacement needles are God-awful expensive, something like  $22, and are only half the battle. Needle seats are only like $8. Replace both and it's a guaranteed fix.

How to remove the pressed-in brass seat? Turn a tap into the seat--believe it's a 6mm size--until it's deep and grabbing tight. To get the bugger out, grab the tap in the jaws of a vise with the carb hanging below and bang the carb body down using a wood block or some such to soften the banging. A pair of vice grips rigged similarly should work if you don't have a vise. The seat should come right out.
Press in the new one with a soft block and careful banging.

It's easy to test your float valve with the float bowl off, using one finger to gently hold the floats up while you turn on the gas tap. If it drips, you're due. I've found a new float needle fixes it only half the time. When it's right, and floats are set parallel with the base when the valve is closed, your tickling and starting ritual will be spot on and the same every time.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR