Tires

Started by wade195, November 25, 2006, 10:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wade195

Once again thank you all.

Doug Wade
Lavergne Tn

Dennis Jones

For New Blaine RR 2007- Super Motard Tires. Just kidding, my memory of New Blain 2005 is of a lot of very dusty gravel roads and blacktop. What trails they did have were very nice hard pack and semi rocky. Just not enough of them.
For pure ease of riding you can't go wrong with Michelin S12's. They last a long time and stick to the ground like mud sticks to the bottom of your fenders.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

wfopete

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dennis Jones

For New Blaine RR 2007- Super Motard Tires. Just kidding, my memory of New Blain 2005 is of a lot of very dusty gravel roads and blacktop. What trails they did have were very nice hard pack and semi rocky. Just not enough of them.
For pure ease of riding you can't go wrong with Michelin S12's. They last a long time and stick to the ground like mud sticks to the bottom of your fenders.

Dennis Jones

I agree, I have been riding my modern bike and my Jackpiner here in Arkansas for several years on S-12's with good results.  I'm not saying that there isn't a better tire out there for this event but I have no reason to switch form the S-12s.  I probably don't push a tire near it's limits as Dwight and some of the other REAL riders out there do, but the S-12s fill my "tire fun factor" need.
Pete Petrick
Penton Jackpiner
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Mick Milakovic

Doug - I just wanted to thank you for the tip you gave me on that KX80, but it wasn't the one stolen from me.  Thanks for keeping an eye out for a brother :)!

Mick Milakovic
Lebanon, Indiana

Mick

cubfan1968

Just what are the dates of the qualifier and reunion ride for 2007?

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

A lot of good points, the biggest hurdle is how and where are you going to ride it. If you're racing I'd go with Larry's choices, if you're just chasing rabbits around in the woods, something a little less pricey is fine. If you're going for the "look" then you have to go for the pattern tire. If you're riding alot, you may have to try a couple of tires to see what works best for you. There's alot of variables, so don't be afraid to try a couple different ones on for size. [ just like shoes ].

I think tires are a lot like premix, religion, and politics.  All are a great topic for when the board is a bit slow[:p]

With more than one bike in the stable I tend to lean toward economy in my choices.  I don't ride my bikes on a weekly basis and the only time my bikes "rail" anything is on a trailer.........

I have found a certain freedom in my Spodliness in that I don't have get all caught up in wringing out that extra bit of performance out of my machines.  I doubt there will ever come a day that I get all that is there out of a bike.  [I do feel a certain amount of disclaimer is justified about a certain Berkshire at this point, however.  Every man needs his Grail Quest, lol.]

Now I shall go ponder this concept of "Spinning" the rear wheel.:D

Tony
Tony

Paul Danik

For me it is all about safety.  When I first dug out an old Penton from the barn and went to Daytona to ride the AHRMA MX I used tires that had the "look" on the bike.  After the first moto they watered the track and my tires with the "look" did not have the grip and I went down.  Before I had spit all of the sand from my mouth I decided that I needed to approach this vintage racing from a little different perspective.

I now use a modern full face helmet, modern knee guards, modern chest protector, ect, ect, I am an old man, not a kid, and I hope to ride for a few more years, if modern compound tires and improved shocks can help keep me in the saddle as my eyesight and reflexes start to let me down, I will surely use them.

Paul

G Ellis

For me on my GS6 175 I use a S12 on front and a M12 on rear. Rick Smits has M12 for a good price, 400x18 for $40.00 I have been running these for two years. The M12 tire is a little harder compond than a S12. Gary Ellis

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by Frenfroe

I'll second the question.....what's best for the RR '07? Is it rocky, soft, hardpack, clay, black & slick, all the above? I hope the soil is better than Park Hills as it'll be my first since 2002 at Park Hills.

Frank

All of the above with minimal soft. It was very friendly last year.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by wfopete

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

You should try Pirelli MT16 on your modern bike and on your Jackpiner in your area.  Works absolutely great.  Good reports on KTMtalk.com also.  Of course I recommended them but they have feedback on KTMtalk.
Where I recommend the C/S tires is on bikes you can't get high quality tires for anymore.  
Dwight
I agree, I have been riding my modern bike and my Jackpiner here in Arkansas for several years on S-12's with good results.  I'm not saying that there isn't a better tire out there for this event but I have no reason to switch form the S-12s.  I probably don't push a tire near it's limits as Dwight and some of the other REAL riders out there do, but the S-12s fill my "tire fun factor" need.
Pete Petrick
Penton Jackpiner

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by cubfan1968

Just what are the dates of the qualifier and reunion ride for 2007?

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Last I heard from a committee member was OCT. 26-28 , 2007 New Blaine, ARK.

Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

robbersroost1

When Penton started making the Woodsman, did they change out the trials tires for knobbys on all of them or just some? If they did where did all the trials tires go. I sure would like to find a set? Anyone sitting on a set?
My Woodsman has knobbys. Seems to me when they sold them some got the trials seat and fenders. Did they ever give out the tires?

Terry Laible
Terry Laible