73 ktm

Started by woodiejon, December 09, 2006, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodiejon

help" i put a new piston & rod in a 73 jackpiner last spring. every thing seems to be ok. crank side play & compression.it runs great,but i have a bad rattle.i can not find where its comming from. if you pull the clutch in, it go away a litte or under a good load its better. i rode five enduro`s  this summer and it still runs great. can anyone give me some advice on whats happening here?

jon flannery
jon flannery

Dennis D

Both of my 72 Piners had VERY noisy clutches in them. Never had any problem with them. I think that I read a test on them and it was mentioned that they sounded like a beer can in a combine, or somethng to that effect. Dennis D

wildman

I checked out a 73 250 not long ago and the clutch and crank gear were badly worn with a lot of lash between the gears. It sounded like a box of rocks when running and got better when pulling in the clutch lever. The gear teeth were worn to a point instead of being flat on the tip. I don't think it really hurt anything but sounded terrible. You might try checking main bearing up-and-down play also. Hope this helps, Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125