Motorcycle lift

Started by Paul Danik, December 21, 2006, 07:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

I was wondering if any of you guys use a motorcycle lift for working on your bikes,  if so would you mind giving your thoughts on your lift. I would like a lift that would bring the bike up to a suitable work height and may also provide a bit of table space to set tools ect. on as you work.

Thanks
Paul

tofriedel

Paul,

I purchased a lift from Harbor Freight early this year ($300) with a manual hydraulic lift.  Greatest tool I ever bought, especially since I have gotten older.  No more bending over.  Works great if you have an adjustable stool.

Plenty of room to dissamble a JP and leave all of the components on the lift table.

They also have a pneumatic model for an additional $100.

Tony
Tony

slvrbrdfxr

Paul,
My dad and I both have purchased lifts in the last year or so and I highly recommend it. I'm sure dad would tell you that it was a great investment too. Sure does make it alot easier on the back without all the bending over. My dad got a Harbor Freight unit like Tony mentioned and mine is a Kendon Stand-up. Give my dad or Bob a call and I'm sure they can answer any questions you might have about the lift he bought. Happy Holidays !!
Dave McCullough

Dennis Jones

I wish I would have bought a lift 10 years ago. I bought one of the Kendon lifts last year and  it is the best money I ever spent on my bikes. My boss bought one of the Harbor Frieght ones this summer. It is table model where the Kendon is more of a rail type. After being around both I prefer the Kendon. The rail allows you to get a little closer to your work and still has plenty of room to set tools or parts on. They make extra work trays you can buy but it is easy enough to make your own. Removing a rear wheel has never been easier. Raise it up to about belly high, put a small bottle jack under the motor and pick the wheel up just enough to spin free and pull it out. When you put it back you can sight right down the chain without bending over. I rarly do anything to a bike now without putting it on the lift.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

Everyone,
   Thanks for the information.

Dennis,
 Why do you prefer the Kendon? What model did you get?

Paul

Dennis Jones

Paul I think I was adding more to my post when you asked why I prefer the Kendon. For the money the H-F unit is a nice tool but the Kendon is a little better quality, takes up less space, and has a wheel chock that will grab and hold your bike up while you put a couple tie downs on it. Although I never do it (cause it always has a bike on it) it is made to stand on it's end and be stored against a wall. There are a lot of other options out there depending on what you want to spend.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

TGTech

Paul,

Check out this link.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Motocross-Lift-p/ht1007.htm

I bought one of these earlier this year, and while I felt that it needed some "refining", it works fine.

Because I have the capability to make the refinements, I went ahead and did them.

Dane

Rocket

Paul
I bought a Handy-Lift probably 15 years ago, best addition to the garage  other than heat in the winter time.  Here is a website to look at.
http://www.mile-x.com/index.htm
Merry Christmas and Happy New year, you do celebrate Christmas in Mars, right?
Rod

don howard

Hello Paul.    Ifor one woke up and said enough of this bending over on my knees. To old for that . I have purchased a Handy lift with side extentions for four wheelers and garden tactor,s air operated it,s the best thing i ever bought.    Don Howard

Bob Gilman

Paul,I use a motolift which clamps the frame down,perfect for a full restoration.It bolts to the floor and only comes in contact with the bike in the middle.It's a little pricey but well worth it.Go on Motolift.com and check it out.You can pull off everything to a bare frame.             Bob

Paul Danik

Thanks everyone for your information, I know one thing for sure from what everyone has said, I am gonna wish I had bought this awhile ago.

Rod,
  Of course we celebrate Christmas in Mars, that red glow from Mars is from our Christmas lights:)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you fine folks.

Rain Man

Okay just one more for the list Paul.  I bought 2 of these, www team hog racing.com lifts and the pros and cons..
 They dont take up much floor space in the garage or truck.
 They're light (70lbs)and portable.
 The bikes handle bars go over your head  (36"lift)
 and they're under 200 bucks delivered.

The one draw back I found is the older shorter suspended bikes need to be lifted unto the lift, I have a hard time with my GS 400 and the 4 stroke flat tracker. The new bikes walk right on.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rob w

Well, speaking of bike stands. Here are some display stands I'm working on. These particular models are NOT designed to be used as work stands. The program is to get 20+ different bikes displayed on pedestals, etc., some may even be wall mounted. Object being to get the cycles above the heighth of the automobiles, so the collection can be seen and absorbed as a whole from any location in the room. Otherwise they're hidden behind cars, also frees up floor space.
Definetly not for everyone, but the opportunity I've been given to development these stands, better helps me understand how to design ways to display show bikes, or make specialized work stations for people with limited space.

^ Steens Hodaka ^

^ Steel Tank Penton ^

^ 72-75 Penton ^

^ Honda CT-90 ^

^ H.D. Z-90 ^

^ H.D. M-50 ^

Bob

Lew Mayer

Rob, You are the Master. The stands look beautiful. If only I had some wall space left over.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Rob,
  I am a buyer if they are ready in time for my displays...GREAT JOB.  Let me know.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh