New bike vs. old

Started by Mike Horton, January 15, 2007, 09:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Stephenson

Mike - i gave your post some more thought. You have a great opportunity with both a modern KTM and a classic Penton in the garage. I still think you should keep both - but as I am a newbie, I cant offer much advice there - others here are the real experts.   I have however spent a fair bit of time setting up a 2003 KTM 200 MXC.  I wonder if part of your feeling less than comfy on the 200 might relate to power delivery nuances - which combined with seat height make things unmanagable.  Address the power delivery, perhaps the seat height is less of a concern.  Or do both and you have one sweet set up.

Last spring my oldest son made the conversion from quads to a bike (age 15 then).  He was rather concerned with making the switch so to help out I addressed 4 things - jetting, flywheel weight, throttle control, and powervalve adjustment.

Sometimes, depending on jetting and other aspects of how a KTM 200 is set up, the power delivery might contribute to your feeling less than comfortable on it.  Got to KTMTalk.com and look for suggestions on jetting.  I am pretty sure in 98 they were using the triple taper needles, which created a hit, and were hard to jet for smaller throttle openings - made for a poor transition from 1/8 throttle to 1/4 etc.  If you go to a straight taper needle (DDK??? i forget), it smooths it out a great deal - very manageable power.  Cost of this, maybe $6 per needle? plus some time for fine tuning.

Next, I installed a 11 oz (maybe it was 9?) flywheel weight - much much less prone to stalling in low speed situations and smooths out power delivery notably.  New cost about $100, I bought mine used off KTM Talk for around $70.

G2 ergonomic throttle.  It has 3 different throttle cams.  One like stock, the next two each slight less agressive.  It keeps total amount of turn the same, but due to the cam shape, changes how much cable movement there is for a given amount of twist.  Some guys say forget flywheel weights, just do this.  These run around $100 as well - i bought ours on ebay for around $70 as I recall.

Powervalve adjustment - I am pretty sure your 98 is like our 03 - again look on KTMtalk - do a search for "Langston Setting"  gist of it is adjusting the powervalve to change where the power hit is.  Huge degree of adjustability. and best yet FREE!

We did all of these mods - the bike is still very responsive - I have a blast riding it - in fact it has made me consider making my next modern bike a 200.  Yet the power is very controllable and manageable.  After just one summer on the 200 my son is now talking about making it more agressive again - maybe remove flywheel weight, change G2 cams, or powervalve adjustment - all quick and easy to do to tailor to your needs.  My leaning is to leave flywheel weight as it helps so much with preventing stalling in low speed technical stuff.  I suspect our first change will be to a more agressive throttle cam - 10 minutes of effort max.

Now, if you decide to sell the 200...maybe my youngest boy needs to move from his KDX to a pumpkin! Then my garage would be 100% orange!

Best of luck to you!

Mike

Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Penton Newbie - thanks to Young Ted!
Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Penton Newbie - thanks to Young Ted!

Rain Man

Mike, I usually have a trailride out of the Limington Outpost every Sunday, (except January/february).  I find time to ride the Pentons usally while I'm waiting for the "boys ta get here".(start early)  
   One thing I've learned about the new bikes, and I'm vertically challenged also    "Ya don't put your feet down".  Also just twist it when in doubt. :D
  The Pentons beat the ba jeesus outta all my old "achy breaky parts", unfortunately.   The XC-W,  well it don't weigh nothing, I can ride it wide open  into the corners (disc brakes, what a concept!!) and it wheelies anywhere, any time.
 And I can ride it all day long, effortlessly .
    Up here in Maine, there  ain't no other riders to show off to.
        "they"   don't exist!! There aren't any other riders on the trails, So your riding for your own enjoyment.
  Count your blessings !! your 56 y/o and your still able to ride,
 and ride any bike you want to ta boot!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons