250 Sachs on ebay

Started by Auto5guy, January 20, 2007, 12:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrownchain

Does the 250 and 125 share the same tank? Any parts in common with other brands?[^]

fosterboy

Thanks Dwight

69 Penton 125         75 Honda MR175        76 Hercules gs175      72-73 Penton prjcts
72 Monark - project    
76 Hercules 175 - project
possible Penton-Hiro project

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

Does the 250 and 125 share the same tank? Any parts in common with other brands?[^]

No real common parts.  1976 SWM uses the 7 speed.  Gas tanks are the same.  Wheels are the same on the 125 and 175.  Same on the 250 and 350.
Bottom ends are the same on the 175, 250, and 350.
There are a LOT of missing parts on this bike.  Does the engine even turn over ?  Does it fire ?
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

thrownchain

According to the description, the motor doesn't turn over. The front end is in good shape, but overall the whole thing needs vast quanities of TLC. There's still seven days on it yet, so alot can happen in that time. Wish me luck.  thx  Dan

Dr.2Stroke

in case that anyone here wins the auction, i could supply new NOS seats and new NOS gas tanks, as a lot of other spares for the sachs/ hercules enduros from 1976 to 1978. i bought the stock from swiss importer recently.
regards Dr.2Stroke

thrownchain

Good to know, is it a big deal to import parts to the US?[^]

thrownchain

I was going through the pics of this bike and the rear brake backing plate has Sachs moulded into it. Does this change the diagnosis??

Cowhouse

Any word yet on that "Sachs" molded onto the rear brake backing plate? Did the Hercs have that back in the day?

cowhouse

PS: Hey thrownchain, I noticed you've still got the winning bid.;)

PPS: Does anyone recall a posting (I think it was on the POG site) showing a step-by-step, photo-by-photo, top and bottom end resto of a 70-something Sachs motor on a Hercules???? It might have been Clasen who posted, but I've been checking and can't find it. Guess I should've bookmarked it ...

thrownchain

Yeah, I'm still winning the bid. I see your in there testing the waters too, wondering how deep they are?[}:)]
Do you know how long ago that post on the motor rebuild may have been?
I'll take a trip on the search engine and see if I can help you find it.    Dan

Dwight Rudder

You guys are funny.   Sachs owned the Hercules Werkes that built 3 brands.  Depending on when and where they were being shipped and sold changed the marque.  They were sold in the USA by all 3 brands at some point. In 1966-67 the were sold here as HERCULES. 1968-70 as SACHS. 1971-73 as DKW . 1975-1978 as HERCULES (again). 1977-78 they sold a very few of the rare SACHS GP250 and GP200, engines based on the 7 speed Sachs engine but they were 5 & 6 speeds although they could be converted to 7 speeds. Frank Stacy raced one for a while.  They were always sold in Germany as Hercules. I believe in Italy as DKW. The seven speeds were always sold in the USA as HERCULES.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Jeff D

If one of you guys wins the bike and needs help storing, arranging shipping, etc., I live fairly close to Lees Summit and could help out.  Phast Phil Ketchum lives even closer and I'm sure between the two of us we could figure about anything out.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

thrownchain

Dwight, there's always someone out there that knows more a brand than others, but you are confirming that the bike is a Hercules?? That's basically what we were after.   thx   Dan[^]

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

Dwight, there's always someone out there that knows more a brand than others, but you are confirming that the bike is a Hercules?? That's basically what we were after.   thx   Dan[^]

Absolutely, it is a GS2501/7a Hercules of 1976 model year, in need of ALL body work, muffler and what ever that poor motor needs.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

thrownchain

Thanks for the info, still a good starting point. [^]

thrownchain

Hey cowhouse!! How high are you willing to go?? [isn't a cowhouse a barn?] I just bumped the price again, but I'm at my limit.[:p]