V001 on ebay? Can it be true?

Started by Steve Minor, January 26, 2007, 08:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I would love to hear the history behind this one....

Dane L....Doug W....Jack P....Paul D....Ron C....Somebody....Please!
Who was the original owner? Who were past owners? How did the current owner acquire it? Where has it been all these years?

Who does POG know at the KTM Corp Office that could secure this wonderful piece of history?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230083848217&fromMakeTrack=true

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

behindbars

First the X2 Sky Cycle....and now this? I guess I can't have them both......;)

James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

firstturn

Steve,
  I will just start this, but there is a lot of history with this bike.  John Penton originally owned it.  Norm Miller found it in about 1994/5 and bought it.  The bike has been on display at Dale Barras' Honda/Suzuki/KTM dealership for the last couple of years.  So the pictures you see of the bike are taken at Dales's Shop.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

pakala

WOW!! The Holy Grail??
    Paul (Socal)

thrownchain

This is quite possibly something the POG should own. How often does the first one of anything become available? Imagine an Owners Group that actually owns # 1.
I know there are going to be people that won't agree with me, but you can't deny that it would bring alot of pride to be able to say we own the first one.
Just a thought, feel free to agree or disagree.   thx   Dan[^]

sixdazed

Who's starting the pool to see what it ends up selling for?I'll guess its got to be worth 10k,anyway.The idea of KTM coporate buying it and having on display at their headquarters sounds good.Or Carbaugh-Ron,don't you think it would look dandy in your new Race Shop!!!???

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

chicagojerry

as a point of reference, there was an unrestored but practically NOS 74 elsie cr 125 that sold for $12750 last week on ebay. and it was legit, i know the guy who sold it. i would think that #1 penton should command more than that. or at least it deserves to. chi jer

BrianTaylor

This is kind of sad :(...... at $5500. and not met the reserve yet.... I hope it stays on this side of the pond..... BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

firstturn

Brian,
  Since I am and will continue to bid on V001 I have to agree I hope it stays in the USA period.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dave Withrow

Ron,
    I was just wondering.  If the POG members wanted the bike to stay stateside, maybe we could "back" you in your bidding.  I'm thinking $100/per member could give a substantial pool to help you aquire this bike and keep it in the family.  What do you think?  Give me the word and a Money Order is headed to you.  Good luck.
                                       Dave Withrow

P.S. Happy Birthday

Dennis Jones

Ahmen to staying in the USA. It breaks my heart to see the brokers buying truck loads of bikes at Mid-Ohio every year only to ship them all overseas :(

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

thrownchain

I'm in also, just let us know.[^]

firstturn

Thanks Dave, Dennis and others.  There are several discussions going on, but ultimately the real situation is it is on ebay and anyone can bid on it.  I too want it to stay in USA, so I am doing what I can, along with others, money wise to make this happen.  Certainly will be an interesting weekend.  I really appreciate this Group and how we always try and do what is right for the Penton Name.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dwight Rudder

Has anyone tried to see if KTM USA wants it. After all it is the actual first real dirtbike that KTM made.  
I also have told Barber's Motorcycle museum curator Brian Slark about it.  If it went to Barber's it would have a great home there and everyone could visit it.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

lane47

I am a very new POG member, and have just been fortunate to meet Ron G via phone and email in the last few weeks, that said, I will do my part to keep this bike where it belongs.
Lane Douglas--TN