False Neutrals

Started by MattyQ, February 10, 2007, 10:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkwkid

The trouble was (is) that while you are carefully downshifting towards the corner the guy on the honda Elsinore or the Yamaha mx/yz just dove under you and is motoring away. Lousy Sachs shifting was a reality back in the day. most kids then worked on their own stuff on a paper route budget and constant shimming/adjustment didn't happen. Most of us put gas in them and rode em hard.:)

socalmx

Back in the day, I learned to shift my DKW with my whole foot instead of just my toes. To this day, I still shift my modern bikes the same way. I don't remember missing a lot of shifts on the DKW and do remember missing more shifts on my Penton (yes, the gearbox was adjusted correctly)so I wonder if this is due to the longer shift lever that the DKW used?

hrbay

Just wondering if boot technology has affected our shifting prowess over the years?? I did have a heck of a time getting used to the stiffer, more protective modern boot.

GC
GC

jay cohen

I put on one of the folding shift levers I bought from Al. This lever is a bit shorter than the stock shift lever. Are you guys saying that I would miss less shifts with the stock one since it is longer ?  I also seem to only miss a shift when going from 3rd to 2nd. I haven't tried the stock one since I just finished the restoration recently and have only used the folding lever.

socalmx

The length of the shifter is determined by the footpeg placement. If you were to put a DKW shifter on a Penton, it would be too long and difficult to use. I can't help but think that the increased leverage of a longer lever would give you more control when making a gear change.