Correct Frame Color for 78 MC5

Started by Danny Metz, February 17, 2007, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny Metz

Hi Guys,  I am going through my 78 400 MC5 and am wondering what over the counter paint is closest to the original frame color?  I glass beaded the frame about 12 years ago, and believe the original color to be a shade of orange.  Suggestions?  This will be a rider, not a show bike.  I just want to stay close to the original color.  Also, what would be a close match to the original tank and side panel colors?  Are the tank decals available?  Thanks!  Danny

Steve Minor

Do a search on past posts, but I seem to remember someone saying Chevy engine paint(obviously orange)was a close match....I don't swear to that but I believe I read it here in a post.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Rain Man

Hi Danny, Lil Tom (alias DKW racer) may have some info on his website under the suppliers page here.  I have a 77 GS 400 and its painted chevy orange, as Steve suggested.
  After about 500 miles of nasty trail riding, the orange still looks pretty good with the mud and oil and scratches and fuel stains all over it :D
 Only 6 more weeks till mud season begins !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Danny Metz

Thanks for the info guys.  Chevrolet "engine" orange is what I used the last time I went throught this bike.  I have noticed some fading of the colors and that is why I am doing it again.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the color of the tank and side panels?  The white is what I am concerned with . . .

Danny