New Member seeking how to ID what I have

Started by PitBoss, February 25, 2007, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PitBoss

Hi all, I am a new member and also the proud owner of two new (old) Penton bikes. Until i bought the two bikes i had never heard of a Penton before. I just bought the bikes because they looked like a great project bike to work on. My problem is i don't know forsure what they really are as far as models go. One of my bikes has a red tank on it with Penton in white. I think it is a 74' but again not sure. the other bike looks considerably older, it has a blue and silver tank and just the motor says Zachs on it.
I didn't receive any paper work on the Blue tank bike, but the red tank bike came with paper work that said it was a 74'.
Could any of you out there help me learn what I have?
Pitboss
Washougal, WA
USa[?]

thrownchain

PitBoss, take the frame numbers off the steering neck and go to the I.D. guide on this site and you should be able to pin point what you have.  If not come back on here and ask and I'm sure someone will help.

Steve Minor

Post the all of serial numbers here and we'll help date them.

Welcome aboard

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

DKWRACER

Hi Pitboss, you have come to "the best website" In support of what I consider, the very best motorcycle on Earth.
There is plethora of information here, it can be overwhemling.
Pictures are worth 1K words. Under "Links", about in the middle,  a link to the Italian website, Tiscalia (KTM Years 70's photos) well worth the adventure! Another good link: http://six-days.org/pages/archivio_it/archit/it_a/ktm_it/ktm_ph/01.html
 will entertain you.
As to your 74, thrownchain is correct to examine the frame serial numbers...Another adventure, would be to look at some #'s just above the RH side case of the motor, just below the bottom cyl. fin....#'s like X-510...X-520...X-540...X-550....1st digit is year, second three indicate cc 510=125...520=175...540=250...550=400
Your Sachs powered machine, is of interest, due to the lineage of the very first Pentons that were introduced.

I do hope that you also visit our featured bike gallery, and the links to as many photos that will help in determining what pieces of Penton history that you now own.

The POG, is a very special place, that always welcomes new members, and there is a search function, that worx as well..

Thanks for posting! [^]
Tom Brosius
Mile High Pentons
Thomas Brosius

PitBoss

Thank you all for your great information. I will check out all the photo gallerys to see if I can spot a bike that looks close to the Blue and silver tanked bike. there is also a different looking front end on the bike, some sort of suppor, that i have never seen on a bike before.
Also, I received more goodies when i purchased the two bikes. I received two complete full motors, size unknown, and boxes and boxes of cable and parts still in their bags with penton on the paper. i also have a steel tank, gold and silver in color, and a muffler or two. Well my wife is yelling that dinners ready so I will check back later and see what any on you can tell me.

Pitboss

thrownchain

Now I'm getting nervous. Get those frame numbers, and check the motors for any numbers also, if they are Sachs motors they will be on the ignition cover.
How about it guys?? A gold color steel tank?? Is it an original color?
Blue and silver?? somebody have a guess?
The funny front end possibly a leading link??
Should have a contest??

PitBoss

Hi all,
I just read the last entry and i just happen to have the engine number right off the motor and that number is; 57610511 sachs engine. i will check the other three motors later.
Pitboss

PitBoss

Ok, I have found the serial number on the Red tanked bike and it reads 21260198.The bike has been register before as a 74'in California back in 1976. I am still working on the Blue/Silver tanked bike because the numbers doesn't look like any of the exsamples listed on this site for id it.

Pitboss[8D]

thrownchain

Ok, if my understanding of the ID guide is correct, your bike was built in Dec of '72, most likely sold as a '73. 2-12  2 for '72, 12 for the month.
Just get the other frame number and post it here, someone should be able to tell what it is. Actually, if you can get some pictures on here, that would go along way also. I beleive you have to send them to the webmaster, and he can post for you.
I look forward to seeing them.[^]

PitBoss

Thanks for the update. Here goes and I told you the serial number was strange. The serial number located on the steering column that I and the Washington State Police have agreed on is, 427003525. I am working on getting pics scan in but I have a really old PC and equipment and have to seek someone else to input the pics for me.
Please hang in there with me because I really am excited about this!!!!![8D][8D]

thrownchain

I'm shooting in the dark here, but that sounds like a DKW frame number, or another "non" Penton brand. Need those pics. Have you looked at the featured bikes?? Anything on there look familiar?? [^]

linglewn

If the silver on the red, blue, and gold tank color is actually chrome, and the "funny" front end is an earles leading link, it probably is a DKW or Sachs - or a mixture. My DKW serial number starts with 428------.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

PNWbinder

How small of a world is this anyway.  I'm your area also and a week or so ago a friend of mine said his dad ran into a guy while riding in the Jones Creek area who just acquired two Penton's from a lady who was tired of looking at them.  The story was something like that anyway.  Would that be your Pitboss?  I recently got my dad's Penton from storage and am working on restoring it.  Good luck with yours!!

Mark Seelbinder
Brush Prairie, Washington
Mark Seelbinder
Brush Prairie, Washington

PitBoss

Yes you are correct it is chrome on the tanks and front fender.
I am stil working on the pics for Id hopefully soon.
Mike Scheel
Pitboss
Washougal, WA

Quotequote:Originally posted by linglewn

If the silver on the red, blue, and gold tank color is actually chrome, and the "funny" front end is an earles leading link, it probably is a DKW or Sachs - or a mixture. My DKW serial number starts with 428------.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

linglewn

Pitboss,
If the gold tank in your box of spare parts is in good condition and you are interested in selling it, I am interested in buying. If you are able to send pictures via email, you can contact me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125