Hiro question

Started by TGTech, April 12, 2007, 12:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

How many people who visit here, have Hiro powered Pentons and in what condition are they? And if you know anybody who doesn't visit here, but has one, I'd like to learn about them too.

Dane

TGTech

Am I offending people asking about this? I just want to know how many of these are still out there, because I may have something for those who do have these engines.

I know that Mick and Kip have them, but I don't remember how many others are out there.

Dane

OUCWBOY

Dane,
I don't have one, but wish I did!!!!

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Kip Kern

Dane, I have a NOS Hiro I built from scratch.  Thanks to you for the help on the rear enging mount!  I took a NOS Hiro engine and an original "74" CMF frame and mated them, have to say it turned out pretty nice.  I studied many pictures of the bikes and decided to see what it took to do what you guys did back in the day.  Currently, I am installing a "72/73" KTM 175 cylinder, piston and head on a NOS Hiro bottom, it should turn out pretty nice too, same stroke and a few base gaskets to get the deck height.  The real work will be relocating the 4 cylinder studs;)

rob w

Hi Dane,
 If you do happen to have an extra top rear bracket laying around that I could copy, that'd be great.
I'm hoping to make some progress on my Hiro project sometime in the next few months.  

Dane - Can you remember the apx. date when these bikes were assembled ?.

Thanks a ton
Bob

TGTech

Bob,
We first met Andy Mosconi, the creator of the Hiro engines, at the 1974 ISDT in Camerino, Italy. (Mr. Mosconi was Italian, but his English was so good, we thought he was a Brit!) That being the "beginning", I'm thinking that the bikes were created during '75 some time. Exactly when, I don't have a clue.

I'll have to look at the shop to see if I can find the rest of the engine mounts again since Kip sent the rest back.

Dane

Mick Milakovic

Hey Dane, I don't have one, but sure wish I did! [:p]

Mick

Bob Andersohn

Dane,
I have one that was built by Kip and it's a work of art. I picked it up this year at the Penton Owners Group meeting, AMA Museum. The engine was new from Ron C.
Bob

Knute

Hey Dane,

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier.  Mom was in the hospital last week and I got behind on everything.  

As far as I know, Pat has his beautifully restored Hiro, Bob has his beautiful replica, I have my unrestored original, and hopefully Bob Wardlow will have his replica going before long.  The only other Hiro I occasionally hear rumors of is one in Colorado.  FYI, the frame on mine is dated 410.  If anyone could use pictures or any other info about mine please just let me know.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

rob w

Kip, How much "Scratch" does it take to build an NOS Hiro Penton. ?
;) [B)]
BobW

Knute

Hey Dane,

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier.  Mom was in the hospital last week and I got behind on everything.  

As far as I know, Pat has his beautifully restored Hiro, Bob has his beautiful replica, I have my unrestored original, and hopefully Bob Wardlow will have his replica going before long.  The only other Hiro I occasionally hear rumors of is one in Colorado.  FYI, the frame on mine is dated 410.  If anyone could use pictures or any other info about mine please just let me know.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

rob w

Kip, How much "Scratch" does it take to build an NOS Hiro Penton. ?
;) [B)]
BobW

Kip Kern

Rob  About 300 hours labor each, a NOS Hiro engine and a complete "74" Penton 125!  A lot of head scratchin![:p]  Actually, I built one for Bob Andersohn and one for myself. A ton of work but worth it to see what Penton went through in the 70's.

wolfmanonapenton

Hi' I was wondering what a new Hiro motors worth?I have four new engines that years ago I bought new from Mefford restorations outa Rockford,Ill.I have one in a bike and (4) new ones and a parts motor outa bike.Just wonderd what the new engines are worth as gave him $125.00 a piece four them back in '91 complete new engines.I wonderd also mine have kinda a gold cast to them and one is more silvery in finish,,wonderd if theres a difference??:)

Kip Kern

I would guess anywhere from $500-$1000 if NOS, more possibly if they have Motoplats in them.  The only problem is there are no spares for these engines at least in this country.  I have seen a polished case version Hiro engine and a early silver painted side cover model but no gold cast.  They are pretty neat though, the big amount of work is changing the Penton frame drive from right to left side.  Getting everything to line up and function well as well as look good is a big challenge.  Have fun!;)