Neck Surgery

Started by Dwight Rudder, April 26, 2007, 12:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew Mayer

Dwight,just got back from Devil's Ridge and read of your plight. Good Luck and God Bless.
A trick with needles is don't watch.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

davidson

I had this surgery about 14 years ago. My right arm was parallized
 and the Doctor wasn't sure if I would get the use of it again.Back
 then Doctor Zigar was considered the best in the southeast at this
 particular surgary. He came into the recovery after the surgery to
 see if I could move my arm. I gave it all I had but it wouldn't
 move. He said that sometimes it takes awhile to come back and to do
 alot of therapy. After a week of therapy I started to get a little
 bit of feeling to return and about a month later it was back to about 90%. About 4 years ago I got the urge to ride dirt bikes again
 but was  affraid the pounding might parralize me for good. I bought
 a Suzuki DRZ 400 and have trail ridden it mostly keeping the tires
 no more than 3 feet off the ground. When I was young I raced a 250
 Elsinor and a 400 Husky in the expert classes. Now that I'm 52 the
 the thought of permanent damage makes me conservative. How I wish
 that I could join ARHMA to race again, but it will never happen as
 just stepping off a high step will still make my hands tingle and
 go numb. Dwight,your probably not as bad of condition as I am,
 please don't let this stop what you love to do. Good luck with the
 surgery and keep up the therapy.

James Pearson

Doug Wilford

Dwight, get well soon, you are in our prayers.
Your guardian angel (Debbie) will be by your side, as well
as all your motorcycle friends thoughts and prayers.

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by Doug Wilford

Dwight, get well soon, you are in our prayers.
Your guardian angel (Debbie) will be by your side, as well
as all your motorcycle friends thoughts and prayers.

Thanks, Doug,  Say hello to Dot for us.  I go in about6 hrs.
I raced today, I know I shouldn't but I didn't want to think about the surgery.  I was in second for a long time but my right hand went numb for a while and I was just a bit weak.  I ended up 4th.
Your friend,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

nonwing

Hey Dwight:

The operation should be no sweat.  I had it done last Sept. and I was ready to go home that night.  The worst parts were removing the #%*& catheter (OUCH!!) and having to wear a neck brace for a month.  I felt like one of those bobblehead deals.  The numbness and tingling should have gone away immediately.  As I have been given to understand by both chiropractors and surgeons/doctors alike, this operation is generally very succesful unlike back surgery.  As I found out many people have this problem and are very reluctant to have the surgery, prefering to try to treat it through chiropractic and other more medieval means.  Chiropractic care will work for a time in many cases, but as the condition worsens the pain becomes worse as does the nerve damage due to compression of the spinal cord.  Remember nerves do not regenerate.  I've spoken to a number of people who refuse to deal with the problem and you can actually see the results.  For example, one arm and the palm of the hand can often be visably smaller due to atrophy from nerve damage.  Pretty scary.  That's my $.02.  Let me know how you're doing.

Bill

Dwight Rudder

They fused T1 & C7  and C5 & C6.  Cleaned up bone spurs and opened up canals.  They went in from front of neck.  I am doing pretty good. Laid up on couch.  Tired.  Tinglin gone.  Some numbness gone.  So far so good. I will check in later this week.  Deb gone to work to get stuff to do at home, right now.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Doug Wilford

Dwight;
No more flying upside down, especialy when landing.:)  Tare care.
Doug Dot and COCO.  We are all glad you are on the road
to recovery.

firstturn

Dwight,
  Thanks for keeping us updated.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Dwight,

Glad to hear you are making progress.  Was the ordeal as bad as the first special test at last years ISDTRR?  Heal quick, we have our yearly moto coming up in a couple of months.

Take care,
Paul

Dwight Rudder

I am doing some walking now.  Neck still a bit uncomfortable but I guess it should be being that they basically removed my head and replaced it.
I hope to be on more soon.  Thank you for all the prayers and good thoughts as you don't know how much it means to me.  I hope to be back riding in a month or so.
Thanks again,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

brian kirby

That is great news Dwight! I hope to be cleared to ride on the 22nd of this month. I might see you at some SERA races before Barber and the RR, but either way get well soon.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

tomale

I have been away for a couple of weeks so I did not know about your surgery, good to hear that you are doing better, I will add you to my list. I am sure that it will take some time to get back to normal, what ever normal is.... take care and my prayer is a speedy recovery!!!!

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (finished project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tlanders

Rosemary and I are so glad to hear our prayers are being answered. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Teddy