1975 125 Six Days running again

Started by thom coles, June 01, 2007, 04:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thom coles

Wanted to let you fellow Penton owners know that after working off and on this past week on my 125 six days it is now running. I had parked this bike in 1977 after getting a new 175 Jackpiner. I had used it through the fall of 1977 and thought the last enduro with it was the Black Coal National, but in the route sheet holder I had the route sheet for the 1977 Jackpine in Moorestown MI.? (memory fades)
  Anyway it had sat in the barn since that time with the usual thoughts of someday I am going to get it running again. Several years ago I had realized the carb slide was varnished/glued in place and petcocks on the tank were completely plugged/varnished. After getting a new air filter,plug, and the usual tank and carb cleanup, not wanting to admit to the mouse nest in the high breather area, it started on the 2nd kick!!
  The sound was a TIME transport and probably all of you know there is something about the engine noise while sitting at IDLE ready and waiting. I just dropped it into 1st and took off....it runs just like the day I had parked it. Obviously it could use some new items such as number plates (cracked/scratched/beatup) and fenders which have yellowed/chalked with time, But it is now another Penton up and running. At least I was excited about it!
  Thanks for all of the information all of you share on this group which I have checked the past couple of years off and on. Many memories are re-kindled, tc

Thom Coles  Paw Paw, Michigan

1975** 126 Six Days
1977** 175 Jackpiner

tlanders

They are great bikes. I parked my 1971 Six Day steel tanker (purchased in late 1970) in November of 1971 and didn't run it again until Mid Ohio summer of 2000. Oh, I did start it a couple times when Alex my son was around 8 years old (19 years ago) and rode him around on it. Go Pentons!!!!

Dwight Rudder

Is this one with the Canted shocks or the standard 73-74 type swingarm ?
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Kip Kern

Change of subject; What is the story on the "Canted Shocks"?  I have a customers 100 Berkshire and it has them, factory welded with brackets.  Anyone know the story??????  CIAO

rob w

It's a standard 1975 model. Just previous to the KTM engined 125's. The Six-Day's came with 1251/6D - swingarm with one mounting hole at the very rear - Ceriani shocks - and 35 x 180 mm Ceriani forks.

Prego
Bob

Kip Kern

Bob

This one has a factory welded top rear shock mount just forward of the rear seat mount where the frame angle starts downward towards the airbox. 1974 100 Berkshire CIAO

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

It's a standard 1975 model. Just previous to the KTM engined 125's. The Six-Day's came with 1251/6D - swingarm with one mounting hole at the very rear - Ceriani shocks - and 35 x 180 mm Ceriani forks.

Prego
Bob

Canted Shocks.

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

thom coles

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dwight Rudder

Is this one with the Canted shocks or the standard 73-74 type swingarm ?
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Yes it has the canted shocks. I purchased the Penton at Lake cycle in Grand Haven Michigan in the fall of 1975, and wanted it due to the canted shock mount. (I was replacing my 1974 Penton 125 six days which had the standard mount.) It was not long after I had gotten this Penton that the new 125 models were using the KTM motor replacing the Sachs.

thom coles,  paw paw michigan

1975** 125 six days
1977** 175 Jackpiner

Dwight Rudder

I think you got the better deal.
Wanna sell it ?
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Rain Man

what a cool feeling huh Thom [8D] Wait till you have a whole fleet of them :D

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

thom coles

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dwight Rudder

I think you got the better deal.
Wanna sell it ?
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Dwight,
 I agree, with the better deal part, my brother in law had the 1976 (KTM motor) 125 six days but had many engine problems with it, and ended up getting rid of it, after only using it for six months. I am Going to keep the 1975 model after all of these years, but thanks for the purchase offer. t.c.

Thom Coles    paw paw, michigan

1975**125 six days
1977**175 jackpiner