Carburetors of choice

Started by Bob Seymour, June 19, 2007, 11:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Seymour

Have any of you fellas utilized or have any experience to share regarding use of the newer Flatslide Mikuni's or Keihin PWK on a vintage KTM ride. I have noted on some of the other sites, that some guys swear this is the route to go for better throttle response and a all around powerband improvement. It seems that these might offer the same improvement oppurtunity as the Lectron. They even look very similar in design.               Thanks, Bob

brian kirby

They should work just as well on a vintage bike as they do on modern bikes. I dont know if you race, but they would not be legal in any AHRMA class, where the Lectron is legal for the Post Vintage classes.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

paul

Hey, I am running a lectron on my MC5 with good luck. I have tried nearly every carb made so let me know if you need some parts. I also have a flat slide kehein If you'd like to try it. $25 plus shipping. Most Bings wear out the slide and pilot jet. It seems to be much easier  and cheaper to use a mikuni. What size and year bike? good luck, TPS

Bob Seymour

I might possibly look at trying a carb change on my 79 420. I have a 40mm Lectron that I need to go thru and a 38mm flatslide Mikuni that I thought might be a good canidate to experiment with.

tlanders

Bob,

Pleaase let us know the results. I use Mikunis on all my vintage bikes because of the Bing slide wear problem. I always use one size bigger than the Bing that was on it. I am using a 39.2mm (bored out 38mm) Mikuni on my Mint 400 (360cc) and it is great. I would suggest that the 38mm Mikuni would be too small for your 420 unless all you are going to do is woods riding. I use Lectrons on all my Post Vintage bikes (1975 or newer) since they are the only flat slide carb allowed for the 1975 to 1981 bikes. The Ultima (1982-1984) bikes can use period Mikuni flat slides. Here is the rule from the AHRMA rule book:

d) CARBURETORS: Period-type carburetors are strongly encouraged. Period flat-slide carbs are allowed on Historic and Gran Prix class motorcycles. Examples include Lake, Lectron, Poso and other period-type flat slides. Active accelerator pump equipped carburetors are allowed only on Ultima class motorcycles; all others must be disconnected or removed, even if OEM equipped. Dell'Orto accelerator pump carburetors are allowed in the Historic and Gran Prix classes only if the accelerator pump mechanism is disconnected or removed. Period flat slide Mikuni carburetors are allowed only on Ultima class motorcycles. Keihin flat slide carburetors are not permitted. No modern D-shape slide or similar equivalent carburetors are allowed in AHRMA Post-Vintage off-road competition.

I hope this helps.

Teddy

farmer58za

Bob
If you are not doing AHRMA racing then you can use a Mikuni flatslide. A good friend fitted a prejetted one from AMS or Vintage Iron to his Maico. The results were excellent - he just bolted it in.
I have also fitted a 38 mm VM Mikuni to my 400 with good results.
David

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David