penton seat efficacious

Started by imported_n/a, July 06, 2007, 09:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

Fellow penton owners,
I have a seat issue and I'm looking for input.
I am in the process of putting a 74/250 harescrambler back in order and have some issues with the seat.
Ok here's the situation, prior owner did a half###ed job he bought a seat cover BUT used stove bolts with square nuts to hold on brackets. Thoses nuts would stay on about to the end of my driveway that was the first issue, no doubt when I saw that I knew I had to take the seat cover apart! The second issue is how he attached the new cover. He used aluminum pop rivets from the back through the cover into the fiberglass/steel reinforcing seat lip. Yea you could feel the end of the rivet poking out and no doubt would wear holes in the still good seat cover....
I know that there is band with threaded studs on the original design, is this all that holds the seat cover on???
My plan is to put the right bolts with nylon locknuts of course, and I am contemplating gluing the part of the seat cover that under the base. I know 3M makes some good products for this has anyone out there taken this approach?  
I'm open for suggestion and help!
First time Penton owner
Thanks
Cappy

Mick Milakovic

Hi Cappy,
You're right about the 3M products, the seat should be secured with a good contact adhesive.  Throw the cover in the dryer with some wet towels to warm it up, stretch it out as tight as you can, and glue that sucker in place!  The aluminum bands on the sides are only for decoration.  Hope this helps, Mick.

Mick

imported_n/a

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mick Milakovic

Hi Cappy,
You're right about the 3M products, the seat should be secured with a good contact adhesive.  Throw the cover in the dryer with some wet towels to warm it up, stretch it out as tight as you can, and glue that sucker in place!  The aluminum bands on the sides are only for decoration.  Hope this helps, Mick.

imported_n/a

Mike,
Never thought of the wet towel idea..... But sounds like a good  trick to get the cover tight..
Thanks
Cappy
ps had a little trouble with a reply...